Memphis Brooks Museum Of Art56 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 1934 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN 38104, United States
- Timings: 11:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-9015446200
- Ticket Price: 7 USD
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museums, Family And Kids
This museum was founded in the year 1916 and is the oldest and largest museum in the State of Tennessee. The original museum was of Beaux- art style designed by James Gamble Rogers in 1913. After a couple of years it was dedicated by Bessie Vans Brooks in the memory of her husband Hamilton Brooks and hence the name. This was later opened for the public in 1955.
- The permanent exhibitions include works of Renaissance, Baroque and 19th Century artists.
- There is a fine collection of English portraits by famous artists such as Gainsborough, Reynolds, Lawrence and Romney.
- There are other American impressionist as well as contemporary art pieces.
- The museum also conserves many 19th and 20th century sculpture examples as well as furniture and textiles.
Memphis Brooks Museum Of Art Travel Tips
- Children below 13 years are to be guided by parents.
- Audio tour is available.
- There is a museum library as well.
Entrance Ticket Details For Memphis Brooks Museum Of Art
- Senior Adults (65+): $6
- Students (with Student ID): $3
- Youth (7-17) $3
- Free for children (6 and under)
- Free for St. Jude Patients and their families
- Free fpr all teachers.
Memphis Brooks Museum Of Art Hours
- Last ticket is given half an hour before closure.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Memphis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Memphis and book an accommodation of your choice.
2.9% of people who visit Memphis include Memphis Brooks Museum Of Art in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
95% of people start their Memphis Brooks Museum Of Art visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Memphis Brooks Museum Of Art
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Memphis Brooks Museum Of Art
Memphis Brooks Museum Of Art Reviews & Ratings
I must say that they have some really nice pieces here and the admission is quite reasonable. However, if you don’t like to have kids in your museum then just don’t let them in. A 10 & 12 year old know better than to touch anything. When a boy is 3 feet from a painting he is not “too close”. A little over the top.
Student discount got me in for 3 dollars and I spent more than 3 hours wandering around looking at all the different types and eras of art. By the time I looked up it was ten minutes til close. Awesome experience, highly recommend. They even have interactive art exhibits for kids.
Baseball photos, old art, a teddy bear made of bullets, you couldn't ask for more. I wonder how much they paid for "Semiotics of the Kitchen" a 6 minute black and white video of some gal holding up kitchen utensils. Seriously, that's all it is. Modern art is some kind of money laundering scam right? That's the only plausible explanation. ...everything else in the museum is pretty good.
The Brooks" has art of various times, so everyone can find something of interest. The Carroll Cloar paintings especially interested us. On the top floor there is a wonderful room where children can become part of paintings by donning costumes, posing in front of backdrops, and commenting on the works of art they have seen. There is a good showing of the Masters in Art here and worth the trip to see. Interesting building, too!
An elegant getaway from mundanity. Beautiful art installations, fun classes and an aesthetic that belongs to artists and art lovers.