Museum Pink PalaceCurrently Closed
This is the Mid- South’s major science and historic museum. This belongs to the Association of the State of Museums and the Pink Palace Family of museums. The exhibits of the museum range in all fields of culture and history.
- The First Americans: The marks on a mastodon bone makes clear a successful Paleolithic excavation into the ancient Mississippi life. There was some mysterious civilization that existed here and the crafting tools, American pottery, hunchback figures and other strange figures of human and animals are the remnants of it.
- The History of Memphis: The look of the city in the Victorian Era with the Civil War Museum and the 17th and 18th century displays of the slavery trend, diseases, hospitals and the horse drawn transports of that time.
- Historic Black Memphians: This boasts of the strong effect of the African Americans on the city. The powerful black business men and the Red Sox team are a pride of the city.
- Saddlebags to Science: This shows the history of medicine in this city also known as “The leader in the healthcare industry”.
- Clyde Park Miniature Circus: One of the best exhibits of the museum is this replica of circus in the olden days. The circus was damaged due to a depression in the 19th century. The Piggly Wiggly grocery store replica is also a favorite among children.
- The Natural history of the Mid- South: This part consists of animal fossils and replica models of extinct species of native animals. They also have displays showing the geological formations such as mountains, etc on this part of the country.
- The Mansion: This is the main part of the museum that houses the 20th century life of the city. You can get to know about the social as well cultural history of the lovely city in the 20th century.
- The other permanent exhibits include 3D Giant Theatre, Sharpe Planetarium, Licherman’s Nature Center, Coon Creek Science Center, Mallory Neely House and the Magevney House.
- Photography and filming is not allowed.
- Group bookings are available.
- Entry is free from 1:00 PM till 5:00 PM on Tuesdays.
- Free for members.
- Child (3-12 years): 7.25$
- Senior (60+): 12.25$
Exhibits and Planetarium:
- $9.25: CHILD (3-12)
- $14.25: SENIOR (60+)
- $15.25: ADULT (13-59)
Exhibits and CTI 3D Giant Theater Documentary Film:
- $12.25: CHILD (3-12)
- $18.25: SENIOR (60+)
- $19.75: ADULT (13-59)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Memphis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Memphis and book an accommodation of your choice.
10.58% of people who visit Memphis include Museum Pink Palace in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
75% of people start their Museum Pink Palace visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Museum Pink Palace
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Museum Pink Palace
This is a wonderful example of a museum that blends local history with cultural, natural, and science history as well. The recent renovations were made with care and consideration which is palpable as you walk through the halls of the mansion. The charm of this place has not changed since I was a kid and now I'm sharing that magic with my child and will for years to come. Do yourself and your family a favor and step back in time to the historic Pink Palace Mansion and Museum. I promise you'll learn something new and get a sense of why Memphis is such a unique place!
We go once a year during the summer and this year my 3 kids and I could only spend 1 hour in the Museum and that was pushing it because there just isn’t a lot of engaging exhibits. It’s in desperate need of some updates. Best part was the gift shop!
Educational and fun. My only complaints are that the dinosaurs are positioned in such a way that little kids can't avoid them even if they are scared. I saw several crying children having to be carried around the animatronic dinosaurs. Also the escalator and elevator were out and no one bothered to inform us when we bought our tickets. So we had to get a heavy baby stroller up and down the stairs while holding a baby.
Every summer, we go to the Pink Palace for the children to enjoy. The museum was great. The exhibits are well done. We went last before the current renovations. One thing is that we will only use cash at the cafe and such, as last time, my credit card was scammed and the police traced it to the cafe in the museum. However, the overall environment is good and getting better. One criminal will not ruin the good museum.
Today was a lot of fun. The whole family enjoyed our time walking through the musium and eating at the musium eatery. Also spent time going through the shops. Didn't get a chance to see a movie at the 3D theatre but I hear it's great too. We will go next time for sure.