Sun Studio1219 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 706 Union Ave, Memphis, TN 38103, 38103, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-9015210664
- Fax: +1-9015258055
- Ticket Price: 12 USD
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Observatory, Historical Site, Entertainment, Performance, Family And Kids, Landmarks, Buildings And Structures
This is a recording studio in the heart of the city that was set up by the very famous rock pioneer Sam Philips. This studio was earlier known as The Memphis Recording Studio that shared the same location as the Sun Records Label Business. After Sam Philips recorded his first solo album naming it Sun Records in 1952 and since then the place was known as the Sun Recording Studio.
From its very initial days, the studio welcomed talented artists and new talents who later went on to shine in the world of music. Among these the most significant name is of course Elvis Presley, whose albums made hits to take the studio to new levels. The other famous artistes who recorded here include Junior Parker, Little Milton, B.B. King, James Cotton, Rufus Thomas, Rosco Gordon, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbisons’, etc. The music was the beginning of the era of rock ‘n’ Roll, Country Music, old Rock, etc. Among the many award winning albums are Rocket 88, Raunchy, etc. The legacy went on till many years and the recent time artists have also recorded in this studio to produce hit albums like No Better Than This, Beyond The Sun and many others.
The museum after it had been closed down immediately after the death of Elvis Presley was reopened in 1987 as a revamped recording studio with newer decorations and infrastructure. The studio now also served as a destination for music lovers and Elvis Presley fans from all over the world.
Sun Studio Travel Tips
- You can collect gifts and souvenirs from the Sun Studio Cafe.
- There is free parking available behind Sun Studio.
- Free shuttle facilities are available to/ from Graceland and Rock ‘N’ Soul Museum.
Entrance Ticket Details For Sun Studio
- Kids from 5-11 years enjoy complimentary entry.
- Children below 5 years are not allowed in the studio.
Sun Studio Hours
- Tours are given from the second half of every hour from 10:30 AM to 5:30 PM.
How to Reach Sun Studio
- Bus numbers 20, 34, 36 and 56 till stop Union Ave @Marshall Ave
- Dominoz Pizza
- Orchid Club
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Memphis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Memphis and book an accommodation of your choice.
57.91% of people who visit Memphis include Sun Studio in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
58.44% of people start their Sun Studio visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Sun Studio
94.2% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sun Studio