About Freedom Rock, Menlo Park
The Freedom Rock (also known as the Patriotic Rock) is a 12-foot-tall (3.7 m) boulder located along Iowa Highway 25 near Menlo in western Iowa approximately one mile (1.6 km) south of exit 86 on Interstate 80. The boulder weighs approximately 56 short tons (51 t; 50 long tons). The rock is located on private property and was used for graffiti. Since 1999, however, it is repainted every year in time for Memorial Day with the purpose of thanking U.S. veterans and their families for their military service and sacrifice. The rock is painted by Ray "Bubba" Sorensen II from Greenfield. Sorensen is not commissioned or paid to paint The Freedom Rock, he uses his own money along with donations and sales of Freedom Rock merchandise to fund the project. In the Spring of 2013, Sorensen began The Iowa Freedom Rock Tour by painting a Freedom Rock (patriotic themed rock) in every county in Iowa at a cost of $5,000 USD plus lodging & supplies per rock, creating a unique statewide veterans memorial for the state. The rocks placed in each county will not be repainted every year. He expected to take ten years to complete the painting of a freedom rock in each of Iowa's 99 counties, but in a 2016 update interview during only his fourth year of his Iowa tour, he expects to complete the Iowa tour in seven or eight years and has only ten more counties in Iowa to book. As he completes the last four years of his Iowa tour, he will begin a nationwide 50 state tour. He plans to paint some freedom rocks of the 50 state tour in warmer places than Iowa during December, January, and February, starting with Alabama in the winter of 2016-7.Wikipedia
Overview of Freedom Rock
Freedom Rock lies in the city of Menlo Park in United States. Although listed here, Freedom Rock is not one of the most visited sightseeing places in Menlo Park.
More about Menlo Park
Personalize your visit to the city by chalking out a plan using Menlo Park trip planner.
Your worry of where to stay in Menlo Park is sufficed by bunch of interesting and comfortable lodging options in the Menlo Park like Pacific Inn Redwood City, Red Cottage Inn and Menlo Park Inn.
Choose from variety of exclusive Menlo Park vacation packages for your next visit or create own own. Check out the various options for how to reach Menlo Park and finish off your vacation package by booking the ideal transfer.
Share your experience - Rate Freedom Rock, Menlo Park
Just love this place, creator/painter Ray "Buba" Swanson does an excellent job, he makes sure it's done by memorial day every year. His website explains the story of the paintings on the rock. Words cannot do justice for all the work he does every year. I just love it. If you go close to memorial day chances are you will find him there painting it. He is also painting a rock for every country in Iowa (99 I believe).
I love it every year. It's to celebrate our veterans who fought on the ground. Got no sleep, didn't eat right, wore down their bodies, all for us. For the freedom that we are allotted. Why wouldn't I go commemorate that.
This was the smallest place with the most amazing painted rock I've ever seen! He paints it differently every year around Memorial Day. Can't wait to stop again.
Incredibly beautiful. The talent is just outstanding. Great tribute to the vets.
We come here every year and never have been disappointed.
- Other Attractions
- Seven Mile Beach
- Queen Elizabeth Ii Botanic Park
- Cayman Spirits Co Distillery
- Pedro St. James National Historic Site
- The Cayman Islands Brewery
- Cayman Islands National Museum
- Pure Art
- Pirate's Cave
- National Gallery Of The Cayman Islands
- Minus 5 Cayman
- Hotels for other Attractions
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Seven Mile Beach
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Queen Elizabeth Ii Botanic Park
- Luxury Hotels Near Cayman Spirits Co Distillery
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Pedro St. James National Historic Site
- Budget Hotels Near The Cayman Islands Brewery
- Cheap Hotels Near Cayman Islands National Museum
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Pure Art
- 5 Star Hotels Near Pirate's Cave
- 5 Star Hotels Near National Gallery Of The Cayman Islands
- Hotels Near Minus 5 Cayman
- City Tripplans
- 33 Day Trip to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Napa, Palo Alto, Menlo Park from Beijing
- 5 Days Trip to menlo park
- 6 Days Trip to menlo park
- 3 Days Trip to menlo park
- 2 Days Trip to menlo park
- 4 Days Trip to menlo park
- 7 Days Trip to menlo park
- 1 Day Trip to menlo park
- 9 Day Trip to San Francisco from Ottawa
- 6 Day Trip to Santa Barbara, Menlo Park, Malibu, Santa Monica, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria from La Jolla