The Basilica Of St-michael The Archangel
About The Basilica Of St-michael The Archangel, Menton
One of the most revered sites in Menton is the Basilica of St. Michael, the Archangel located in the heart of the town. The construction of the church began in 1619 as per the wishes of the Prince of Monaco. It took 34 years to complete. Designed by Genoese architect Lorenzo Lavagna, the church has been renovated numerous times. The current façade was completed in 1819 with two storey towers and terraces. It was granted the title of basilica in 1999 by of Pope John Paul II.
The church has been constructed in baroque style. The interior has stucco marbles and wooden statues. The side chapel are adorned with baroque altarpieces. The Parvis was completely redecorated to its 17th century glory in 2006. The church also hosts the annual event of Classical Music Festival every August.
The Basilica Of St-michael The Archangel Information
- The church is popularly known as Basilique St-Michel Archange.
How To Get To The Basilica Of St-michael The Archangel by Public Transport
- Train No: No Information, Nearest Railway Station: Menton-Gravan station
- Bus no 98, Bust stop: Cathedral, Menton
Restaurants Near The Basilica Of St-michael The Archangel
- A Braijade Meridiounale
- Pizzeria le Vesuvio
- Le Gordon
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Menton before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Menton and book an accommodation of your choice.
Address: Parvis Saint-Michel, 06500 Menton, France
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 5K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Architecture , Cathedral
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Share your experience - Rate The Basilica Of St-michael The Archangel, Menton
Stunning architecture and views of Mediterranean Sea. To reach the Basilica, walked up several flights of stairs, where each landing had an in-layed stone design. Continued down pathways through several tenements. Fabulous!
Beautiful basilique. A must see in the old town of Menton.
Beautiful and ancient place with nice atmosphere.
It's beautiful during sunset to see the amazing colors and better to see it from the beachside to have a great view over the city and the church.
- Other Attractions
- Paradisarhellir Cave
- Tre Og List
- Turf House
- Hotels for other Attractions
- Cheap Hotels Near Geysir
- 5 Star Hotels Near Kerid
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Paradisarhellir Cave
- Hotels Near Tre Og List
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Seljalandsfoss
- Hotels Near Selfosskirkja
- Luxury Hotels Near Olfusa
- 5 Star Hotels Near Turf House
- Hotels Near Thjorsarstofa
- Budget Hotels Near Skógafoss
- City Tripplans
- Trip to Paris, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Lyon, Versailles, Stuttgart, Avignon, Frankfurt, Menton
- Trip to Lourdes, Menton, Cherbourg
- Trip to Versailles, Menton
- Trip to Paris, Angers, Rennes, Menton, Toulon, Carcassonne, Reims, Tours, Pau, Amiens
- Three Days In Menton For Family And Kids
- Trip to Paris, Berlin, Venice, Munich, Zurich, Madrid, Basel, Frankfurt, Menton
- Trip to Menton
- Fascinating Four Days In Menton
- Top 10 Things To Do In Menton
- Menton Itinerary 1 Day