Long House1173 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Tram Rte, Mesa Verde National Park, CO 81330, USA, United States
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-9705294465
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Archaeological Site
The Longhouse at Mesa Verde National Park is part of the Wetherhill Mesa trail stretched for 3.6 kilometers that takes you to an extended height of 40 meters above the elevation of the kiosk from where the tour starts. The Long House dates back to the Pubelo II period (1150 to 1300) and was actually built on the site of a Basketmaker III pithouse that dates back to the mid 7th century. The place was home to 150 people with an extension during the 13th century that leads to the current 150 rooms and 21 Kivas in total. The house was discovered in the 19th century along with the discovery of the other cliff dwellings seen around the Mesa Verde National Park.
Long House is the second largest cliff dwelling in the national park and even though the hike includes climbing two ladders placed on cliff faces, it is still one of the most loved spots at the park. The rustic terrain that opens into a beautiful settlement and includes a small pond, the rooms and the beautiful underground Kivas that would have been used for spiritual practices, make up a whole different world. The view of the surrounding area from here is spellbinding and offers a panoramic view of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The place is apt as a vantage point as well – needed at that time for survival and the fact that the house is located in a cave on the cliff protects the ruins from the wear and tear of harsh weather. To make the most of your visit here, try to opt for the ranger-guided tour.
Long House Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and snacks.
- Wear sturdy shoes and comfortable clothes.
- Wearing sunscreen will help.
- The trail is not recommended to people who have a respiratory problem or have any prominent medical issues.
Entrance Ticket Details For Long House
Tour prices of Long House: $5 per person
Admission Fee to the park for private vehicles (valid for 7 days):
- January 2 - April 30, 2018; November 1 - December 31, 2018 Fee: $ 15.00
- May 1 - October 31, 2018 Fee: $ 20.00
Admission Fee to the park for Motorcycle (valid for 7 days):
- January 2 - April 30, 2018; November 1 - December 31, 2018 Fee: $ 10.00
- May 1 - October 31, 2018 Fee: $ 15.00
Admission Fee to the park for every Bicyclist and Individual (valid for 7 days):
- January 2 - April 30, 2018; November 1 - December 31, 2018 Fee: $ 7.00 per person
- May 1 - October 31, 2018 Fee: $ 10.00 per person
Mesa Verde Annual Pass: USD 40
Admission fee to the park for Non-Commercial Group (based on vehicle capacity) January 2 - April 30, 2018; November 1 - December 31, 2018: valid for 7 days
- Less than 16 people: USD 15 per vehicle
- 16-25 people: USD 7 per person (cannot exceed over USD 100)
- 26 or more people: USD 7 per person (not to exceed USD 200)
Admission Fee to the park for Non-Commercial Group (based on vehicle capacity): May 1 – October 31, 2018: valid for 7 days
- Less than 16 people: USD 20 per vehicle
- 16-25 people: USD 10 per person (cannot exceed over USD 100)
- 26 or more people: USD 10 per person (not to exceed USD 200)
Long House Hours
The park is open 24 hours a day from 365 days a year.
Trail Hours: The Wetherhill Mesa (including Long House) is open Memorial Day through Labor Day:
- Early Spring- Late fall: open daily 8.00 am to 6.00 pm
- Spring: open daily 8.00 am to 6.00 pm (tours at 9.30 am, 12.30 pm and at 2.00 pm)
- Summer: open daily 8.00 am to 7.00 pm (tours at 9.00 am, 10.00 am, 11.00 am, 2.00 pm, 3.00 pm, and 4.00 pm)
- Fall: Open daily 8.00 am to 6.00 pm (tours at 9.30 am, 12.30 pm and at 2.00 pm)
How to Reach Long House
- By renting a Bicycle (the park accepts application for bike rentals)
- By renting a Car.
- You need to hike/ walk around the place to reach various spots around the park.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Mesa Verde National Park before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mesa Verde National Park and book an accommodation of your choice.