Metropolitan Cathedral2846 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Avenida 16 de Septiembre | Colonia Centro, Mexico City 06010, Mexico
- Timings: 08:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: 52-5555100440
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Metropolitan Cathedral - A Cathedral in Mexico City, Mexico. Built across three centuries, this monumental church combines Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassical elements. It’s one of the most important Christian landmarks in the world, especially considering that it contains the Christ of Poison. The foundation of this church rests on a temple dedicated to Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec God of War, which was destroyed by the Spanish. Once, it seemed that this rich building was in danger as it had begun sinking into the ground but careful geo-architectural work has restored it. The attractions to watch for are the ornate front façade, the many statues and paintings, the sacristy, the various chapels the baroque choir, the shrine, the catacombs and the Altar of Forgiveness. Impressive from every angle, the cathedral leaves every visitor in awe.
Metropolitan Cathedral Travel Tips
- Bell tower - 10:30 am to 6:00 pm.
- Check the schedules for the the occasional Light And Sound show: the Voices of the Cathedral.
- Buy some of the precious stones sold in front of the cathedral.
- Wear modest clothing when visiting.
How to Reach Metropolitan Cathedral
- Zocalo Metro Station
- Restaurante Harumi
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Mexico City before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mexico City and book an accommodation of your choice.
72.68% of people who visit Mexico City include Metropolitan Cathedral in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
50.28% of people start their Metropolitan Cathedral visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Metropolitan Cathedral
80.48% of people prefer walking in order to reach Metropolitan Cathedral