Zocalo, Mexico City
Zocalo, Mexico City - Address
Address: Juarez and 20 de Noviembre | Centro Histórico, Mexico City 06060, Mexico (Centro)
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 24.5K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Walking Area, Historical Site, Entertainment, Concert, Plaza, Family And Kids, Festival
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Zocalo, Mexico City
Zócalo - Plaza in Mexico City, Mexico. One of the largest plazas in the world today, Zocalo was once an open space used for religious and spiritual ceremonies by the Aztec of the ancient city of Tenochtitlan. It remains important in Mexico today for more or less the same reasons, as countrymen descend on this place during momentous occasions, concerts and festivals. It’s so famous in Mexico that major squares in other towns are named the Zocalo too. The Presidential Palace, the Metropolitan Cathedral and the city government offices surround it today. At its centre, a massive Mexican flag reaches for the sky.
- The huge Mexican flag flying in the middle of the Zocalo is ceremonially raised at 8:00 am by soldiers of the Mexican army, then lowered at 6:00 pm.
- Sit down and watch the crowd. It’s fascinating.
- Best to come watch the place during some event.
- Try buying something from here for a souvenir.
- There are a lot of seedy looking stalls all over the place.
How To reach Zocalo by Public Transport
- Zocalo Metro Station
Restaurants Near Zocalo
- Restaurante Harumi
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Mexico City before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Mexico City and book an accommodation of your choice.