Visit Milan - Best of Milan
Milan is Italy’s second largest city and the capital of the Lombardy region as well as heading the province of Milan. With more than 1.3 million people living in what is considered the city centre, Milan is a lively metropolis with sprawling suburbs, stunning historic architecture, Europe’s most fashionably dressed inhabitants and excellent shopping facilities. Visit Milan and explore the rich heritage of Italy!
Milan is not just famous for being one of the world’s leading design and haute couture centers, this Italian city is also well-known for producing some of the world’s favorite dishes such as Panettone Christmas Cake, Salami or Risotto a la Milanese for example. Milan travel guide is a culinary tour through Italian cuisine.
Milan is also home to the wonderful opera house, Teatro all Scala, that is is a world-class venue for some of the world’s finest singers and performers. From the A.C. Milan Football Club to composer Giuseppe Verdi, from its Celtic roots to its ancient Roman monuments, Milan is one of those cities that will get under your skin. A Milan trip is a must on every art lover’s wish list! Choose the best time to visit Milan to enjoy all that this city offers.
Milan Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Milan tips for your visit
- Beware of pickpocketers.
- Be safe while driving a car as the city face huge traffic during peak hours.
- Learn the Italian for “Tap Water Please”.
- If you wish to buy signature clothes in Milan, visit the downtown region.
- Traveling alone as a woman in Milan is not a problem at all. However, Journey Women must practice 'big city smarts' as they would do in any big city. It's good to keep your eyes open, especially to avoid pickpockets. Don't let suspicious characters get too close (they're very good at diverting your attention and extremely quick at emptying your purse) and always hold your bag in front of you when you are on public transportation.
- Smoking in public is prohibited in Milan and this is indicated by the no-smoking symbols. However, you are free to drink and smoke in pubs and bars as most Italian are heavy smokers.
- Time Zone – CET (Central European Time)
- Currency – Euro (EUR)
- Electricity and Internet – 220-240 volts; primary socket type is Italian, Europlug. Free Wi-Fi access is available in hotels and some regions of the city.
- Languages – Italian is their official language. However, English language is also welcomed for the convenience of the visitors.
- Security – General emergency number: 113, Fire service: 115, Police: 112, Ambulance: 118, Pan-European emergency: tel. 112.
- Tourist traps – Don’t fall in trap of the over friendly vendors who try to sell bracelets. Meandering around the city by bike is a nice alternative way to discover Milan, and bike-sharing has become rather popular even with Milan locals. There are now many stations throughout the city where you can take or leave your bike. The system is not the most user-friendly, though, especially for tourists.
- Off-beaten Path – Exploring the city on foot is the best thing to do in Milan.
- Tipping – Italians do not leave tips at restaurants and bar counters. In tourist locations, you will find a line blank for a tip to be added. Just leave few Euros over there.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Milan and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Milan- Know before you go to Milan
Facts and Stats for Milan*
Pollution Statistics in Milan
Know the pollution level of Milan before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 69.27 (High)
Water Pollution 39.61 (Low)
Noise and Light Pollution 51.94 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 47.22 (Moderate)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 30.77 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 29.72 (Low)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 59.78 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 51.67 (Moderate)
Milan: Crime and Safety
How safe is Milan for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Milan.
Burglary and Theft 44.44 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 45.72 (Moderate)
Assault and Armed Robbery 36.36 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 70.81 (High)
Car Stealing 38.46 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 51.06 (Moderate)
Attacks 38.46 (Low)
Drug offense 50.52 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 79.97 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 48.97 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 31.72 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 22.05 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 56.6 (Moderate)
Living in Milan - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Milan is 127.41 (High)
Safety Index 54.98 (Moderate)
Climate Index 88.26 (Very High)
Pollution Index 63.85 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 40.02 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 84.11 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 71.98 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 16.72 (Very High)
Purchasing Power Index 73.54 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Milan
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Milan
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.2 USD
International Movie per seat 11.07 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 39.72 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 102.11 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 104.49 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Milan Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Milan
Milan Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Milan
2885 Reviews Duration: 9 Hrs
Take in the stunning scenery of world-famous Italian lake on this Lake Como day trip from Milan, just a quick 1-hour drive aw...
USD 98.88Book Now
394 Reviews Duration: 12 Hrs
Discover Italy’s sublime Cinque Terre coastal region on a day trip from Milan. Renowned for its terraced landscapes and...
USD 161.7Book Now
129 Reviews Duration: 8 Hrs
Already exhausted the shops of Milan and want a change of scenery? Take an easy trip across the Italian border into Switzerla...
USD 25.25Book Now
83 Reviews Duration: 9 Hrs
Explore scenic Lake Maggiore in Italy's beautiful Lake District on a day trip from Milan. The fashionable lakeside town of St...
USD 86.49Book Now
- Cities Near Milan
- Brandizzo Tourism
- Molassana Tourism
- Solaro Tourism
- Scalenghe Tourism
- Corteno Golgi Tourism
- Polverara Tourism
- Felizzano Tourism
- Gruaro Tourism
- Zenevredo Tourism
- Alserio Tourism
- Faloppio Tourism
- Apartment La Serra Di Lerici Sp With Sea View 190 Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Inwood Tourism
- Oberrüti Tourism
- Barhan Tourism
- Laurelton Street Tourism
- Nagrota Tourism
- Amb Tourism
- Mondalforno Tourism
- Mount Pleasant Tourism
- Labuhan Ratu Tourism
- Villasimius Tourism