Home to tipsy Brew skis, Baseball fanatics, Modern Art galleries, the legendary Harley Davidson Museum, haunted places which are swamped by Ghost hunters and a shop where Priests come to buy for their outfits- Milwaukee is probably one of the most fascinating places on this side of the globe. Add to that, river cruises which take you through the Milwaukee river and the city’s controversial history with Al Capone and you are sure to have one of best travel stories to tell for years to come!
Milwaukee, like the rest of Wisconsin has a vast history. The original inhabitants were the American Indians whole settled around the Lake Michigan. Soon many tribes were living here and extended to what is now the ‘downtown’ area of Milwaukee. In the 20th century, the German and Polish immigrants embraced the area and soon the African-American and Hispanic population found its way to the city too. Milwaukee has always been a favored place for immigrants and its vast culture and heritage is derived form all of them.
Milwaukee is the largest city in Wisconsin and covers the south-eastern boundary of the state’s map. The city embraces the urban culture much like New York with chic places to shop, eat and party. If you are traveling with family, there are many science and art museums, thrilling baseball games and places of history which offer an exclusive peek into the 19th century Milwaukee.
Today, the city owns some of the best beer breweries in the world like Pabst, Miller and Schlitz and is the only place where you can see Harley Davidsons take shape.
The summer is the peak season with an array of festivals celebrated in full swing around the Lake Michigan. The ‘Summer-fest’ is recorded in Guinness book of world records as the "the largest music festival in the world”.
Milwaukee credits its vast tourism to its urban streak, love for art and immensely fascinating stories which yield from its multi-racial culture.
Essential travel information and Milwaukee tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC – 06.00 hours
- Currency: US Dollar (USD)
- Electricity and Internet: 120 volts of electricity output. High speed Wi-Fi is available easily and provided by most hotels in Milwaukee.
- Languages: English is spoken the most. However, due to its vast immigration population, other spoken languages include Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Polish, Serbian, Cantonese, Mandarin, Asian and European languages among others.
- Security: Emergency number for Police, Ambulance, Fire Department: 911. Police (non-emergency): +1 414-933-4444
- Tipping: An average of 15 % is considered a good tipping value in restaurants. However, at most places the tips are included in the bill and may amount around 18-20 %. Do check your bill before you tip. For other services like Drivers and Bartender etc., a smaller tip of around 5-7 USD is considered acceptable.
- Tourist Traps: Most of the bills at restaurants and other eateries come with a tipping amount of around 18-20 %. Do check the bill before you tip over the mentioned value.
Milwaukee Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Milwaukee. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Milwaukee trip planner.