Gesu Church2 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 1145 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53233, United States
- Timings: 08:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-4142887101
- Time Required: 00:20 Mins
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture
Today a part of National Register of Historic Places, the Church of the Gesu was founded in 1869 by English speaking Irish Catholics in the region.
The church showcases French- Gothic styled architecture and is one of the churches which has stood the test of time. Even today, people love how the place can belong to the past and present equally. The intricate work seen on its alter and interiors is simply stunning.
Gesu Church Hours
Schedule for Access to the Church:
Lower Church :
- Monday - Friday: Church Open 6:00 am - 7:50am, 11:15 am - 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm - 6:00pm
- Saturday: Church Open 6:00 am - 7:05 am, , 11:15 am - 1:00 pm, 3:15pm - 6:00pm
- On Saturdays, the restrooms will be open when there are weddings in the Upper Church.
- Sunday: Closed unless open for an announced special event.
- Weekdays: Closed other than for funerals and other scheduled events.
- Saturdays: Open for scheduled weddings and 4:30 pm Mass.
- Sundays: Open for Masses, closed from 1:00 pm - 5:30 pm on Sunday.
- Monday - Friday: 6:15 am & 7:00 am, and 12:05 pm & 5:00 pm
- Saturday: 6:15 am and 12:05 pm
- Saturday anticipated: 4:30 pm
- Sunday: 7:30 am, 9:00 am, 11:30am, 4:00 pm & 6:00 pm
- Sunday 4:00pm Mass when Marquette University is in session.
For other timings, visit the official website.
How to Reach Gesu Church
- By Bus: At Wisconsin & N12 #891
- By Taxi
- By Car/Bike
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Milwaukee before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Milwaukee and book an accommodation of your choice.
Gesu Church Reviews & Ratings
Being a Marquette Alum, I knew I wanted to get married at the Church of Gesu for a long time, and thankfully my husband agreed. Obviously, it is a beautiful church, and it made for some very beautiful wedding photos. As you probably know if you are looking to get married in the Catholic Church there are a few requirements first. We worked with Mike Heimbach, who is retiring and laid out these requirements for us, making the process very easy for us. They had a day where you get together with other couples to go over all of these requirements which was very helpful to us. Then, as we kept checking things off the list we continued to get emails from Mike letting us know we were right on time to get married on our set date. As for planning out our mass, it could not have been any easier. They had a template and book to follow along with to help you pick out the most appropriate music, prayers, and readings. One thing that we loved about getting married here, is that you had to use your own priest, so we were able to get married by my husband’s cousin which made for an extra special day. Our ceremony was beautiful, and could not have gone any better. I am so glad we got married at Gesu Parish.
Saw a great friend get ordained there. Beautiful church. As an aside, one of the better tempered churches I've been to.
Gorgeous church, fantastic music, and much grace and spirit for the Lord to be with you.
Beautiful Church. Holy Mass and Confession
Only been there once, beautiful.