Minneapolis Institute Of Arts1088 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 2400 3rd Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55404, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6128703000
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museums, Family And Kids
This is a government funded art museum that is spread over a large area of around 8 acres. The place was earlier known as Morrison Park. The Park Board Museum Fund is the main sponsor of this museum. Apart from them the corporate bodies and museum members are other supporters in the treasury.
The museum was an initiative of well to do business men who wanted to bring the colors of art into the lives of the citizens. The exhibitions and collections were permanently started first in the Minneapolis Public library in 1889 and then the place changed to the present location.
- The collection consists of around 80000 exhibits that date back to several centuries.
- Apart from just the paintings, photographs, prints and drawings, they also have displays of textiles, architecture and decorative arts. All these are examples of world history.
- There are collections of African Art, art from Oceania and Americas, Asian displays. The Asian collection here is considered one of the finest in the country. This section includes Chinese architecture, jades, bronzes and ceramics.
- The museum also owns the Purcell- Cutts House just beside the Lake Isles. It is one of the finest as well as very few existing examples of typical Prairie architecture. It is opened for tours on the 2nd weekend of each month.
Minneapolis Institute Of Arts Travel Tips
- There is a gift shop in the museum from where you can buy gifts and memorabilia.
- Photography is allowed for the permanent collections only for personal use.
- Disabled visitors can also access the museum with ease.
Entrance Ticket Details For Minneapolis Institute Of Arts
- Entry is free.
- A few of the events and exhibitions need a minimum admission fee. Check the website for curreny details.
How to Reach Minneapolis Institute Of Arts
- Bus number 11 till 3rd Ave S and 24th St E.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Minneapolis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Minneapolis and book an accommodation of your choice.
79.24% of people who visit Minneapolis include Minneapolis Institute Of Arts in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
64.42% of people start their Minneapolis Institute Of Arts visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Minneapolis Institute Of Arts
91.67% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Minneapolis Institute Of Arts