Minneapolis Institute Of Arts, Minneapolis
About Minneapolis Institute Of Arts, Minneapolis
Minneapolis Institute Of Arts, Minneapolis - Address, Phone Number
Address: 2400 3rd Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55404, United States
Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 9.8K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Art Museum, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
This is a government funded art museum that is spread over a large area of around 8 acres. The place was earlier known as Morrison Park. The Park Board Museum Fund is the main sponsor of this museum. Apart from them the corporate bodies and museum members are other supporters in the treasury.
The museum was an initiative of well to do business men who wanted to bring the colors of art into the lives of the citizens. The exhibitions and collections were permanently started first in the Minneapolis Public library in 1889 and then the place changed to the present location.
- The collection consists of around 80000 exhibits that date back to several centuries.
- Apart from just the paintings, photographs, prints and drawings, they also have displays of textiles, architecture and decorative arts. All these are examples of world history.
- There are collections of African Art, art from Oceania and Americas, Asian displays. The Asian collection here is considered one of the finest in the country. This section includes Chinese architecture, jades, bronzes and ceramics.
- The museum also owns the Purcell- Cutts House just beside the Lake Isles. It is one of the finest as well as very few existing examples of typical Prairie architecture. It is opened for tours on the 2nd weekend of each month.
Minneapolis Institute Of Arts Information
- There is a gift shop in the museum from where you can buy gifts and memorabilia.
- Photography is allowed for the permanent collections only for personal use.
- Disabled visitors can also access the museum with ease.
Minneapolis Institute Of Arts Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
- A few of the events and exhibitions need a minimum admission fee. Check the website for curreny details.
How To reach Minneapolis Institute Of Arts by Public Transport
- Bus number 11 till 3rd Ave S and 24th St E.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Minneapolis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Minneapolis and book an accommodation of your choice.
Minneapolis Institute Of Arts, Minneapolis Reviews - Write a Review
I am very impressed with this Museum. There is works from incredibly famous artists in all types of media. And credible selling point is that you don't have to pay to see almost all of the exhibits. I happen to be a member myself and donate a very small amount of money to the institution because I just feel good about it but I know it's the large benefactors that really keep this place going. I make it a point to bring friends and family here that are from out of town every time possible even if they aren't Big Art fans.
MIA is an excellent art museum with substantial collections for every taste and time frame from ancient to contemporary. Admission is free, but please donate something! The only cost would be $5 rental of headset for the audio portion of the museum. About half of the art has audio explanations that add to the written description.
I absolutely love this place! I have been going here since I was very young. I love the people and the art here. The outdoors is also incredible I love the architecture of the building and the color of the trees in the fall.
Great museum with free (donation recommended) admission. Our kids love exploring the galleries and collections. Special events are usually good fun.
The MIA contains large collections spanning a wide range of time periods and cultures. It's well laid out. Plan on at least two hours to take the whole museum in. Donations are appreciated but the main exhibits are free of charge to members and non-members. There are several interactive experiences for children and special exhibits the special exhibits do have a cost). I
- Nearby Attractions
- Electric Fetus
- Orpheum Theatre
- Lake Of The Isles Park
- Gasthof Zur Gemutlichkeit
- Burger Jones
- The Local
- Terminal 2 Humphrey Station & Platform
- St Anthony Falls Visitor Center
- Minneapolis Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Minneapolis
- What to See in 48 Hours in Minneapolis
- What to See in 72 Hours in Minneapolis
- How to Spend 5 Days in Minneapolis
- How to Spend 6 Days in Minneapolis
- How to Spend 7 Days in Minneapolis