Walker Art CenterCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: 1750 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55403, United States
- Timings: 11:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6123757600
- Ticket Price: 14 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museums, Family And Kids
It is a multidisciplinary contemporary art museum that was the first of its kind in the Mid- West. It is also rated among the top 5 museums of the country. The museum was first set up as a private gallery of lumberman Thomas Barlow Walker in 1879 and then opened as a public museum in 1927. The renovated version of the museum is much better and includes a new gallery space, a theatre, restaurant, shop, a special event space, etc. the Cowles Conservatory is another remarkable part of the museum.
As you explore the museum you will find:
- The Visual Arts Program that is a mix of contemporary, historical, group, monographic, thematic, and media-specific shows.
- The Performing Arts Center that presents local arts, dance, music and poetry events.
- There is an in- house design department here.
- They organize very good educational and informative workshops and programs for everyone.
- There is a nice gift shop from where you can buy small gifts and souvenirs.
- USD 12 for seniors
- USD 9 for students
- Free for children below 18 years and members.
- Admission to the gallery is free on the 1st Saturday of each month.
- Gather by D’Amico
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Minneapolis before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Minneapolis and book an accommodation of your choice.
47.62% of people who visit Minneapolis include Walker Art Center in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
51.61% of people start their Walker Art Center visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Walker Art Center
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Walker Art Center
The Walker Art Center is a beautiful museum filled with world-class pieces and attached to the Guthrie theater. You could easily spend a day walking through here in a very relaxed setting enjoying yourself. They also have a great restaurant in the building so you truly can make a day of it. When you go here, don’t forget the step outside and enjoy many hours in the beautiful adjacent sculpture garden.
Very cool art center. I mostly enjoyed the sculpture garden. It did broadcast an incredible array of artists from around the world but I do wish they had a few more local spots from the great people of Minneapolis. Highlighting local in a town that artistic would be awesome!
The Walker is a really unique building and usually has some decent exhibitions. When the weather is nice the sculpture garden is a great place to read a book or take a walk. I do wish they would get some of the bigger exhibitions from the Whitney but overall Minneapolis is lucky to have the Walker.
Beautiful place. Some very good exhibits going on last week. Wish I'd planned better for a free day. A tad pricey to get in.
If you like looking at wild and outside the box art, the Walker Art Center is perfect. A great mix of modern art and sculptures. Plan extra time to wander around the sculpture garden and grab a selfie by the iconic Spoon Bridge and Cherry.