Fort AntoineCurrently Open
- Address: Fort Antoine Theater, Ave de la Quarantaine, Monaco-Ville 98000, Monaco
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: 377-93158000
- Ticket Price: Free
- Tags: History Museums, View Point, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Fort
One of the most famous and emotionally evocative photographs of all time is of a young woman placing a flower in the barrel of a gun during an anti-war protest. A similar feeling is evoked at Fort Antoine, one where an establishment of war has been converted into an abode of peace. Originally constructed in early 18th century, original fortifications as early as 1709, as a fort it was destroyed during the Second World War. It was rebuilt by Prince Rainier III in 1953 and over the years it has been transformed into an open air theatre that can seat up to 350 people on its stone seats. Though it was built a mere sixty years ago it retains the style of an early 18th century fort. Admission is open to all except on show days, so feel free to wander in at any time of the day for a spectacular view of the sea and the Monaco port. A picturesque fort converted into an open air theatre with a great view.
- Hours vary by performance, please inquire.
- The theatre is located in the old town, the “Rock”. The Prince’s Palace, the Oceanographic Museum, the Museum of Napoleon Souvenirs, the Stamps and Coins Museums and the Saint Nicholas Cathedral are very close by. Plan your day well and you catch all the nearby sites in a day.
- You will be by the sea and might experience a breeze, carry a light jacket.
- Chemin des Pecheurs parking lot is under the Oceanographic Museum.
- Free entry, except for shows.
- Take bus numbers 1 or 2 in the direction of Monaco Ville and get off at the terminal, Place de la Visitation.
- Quai de Artiste (Brasserie, moderate-highly expensive, casual)
- Stars ‘N’ Bars (American, moderately expensive, casual)
- L’Aurore (Mediterranean, moderately expensive, casual)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Monaco before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Monaco and book an accommodation of your choice.
29.53% of people who visit Monaco include Fort Antoine in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
32.76% of people start their Fort Antoine visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Fort Antoine
67.24% of people prefer walking in order to reach Fort Antoine
Pleasure pain. Your just punishing yourself. I did spot a Renault 5, turbo 2 though...lots of cool cars stored in the public underground car parks... Take an underground stroll.
This is a must check out destination in Monte Carlo. It has been turned into a very nice park. Expect to spend a few hours there depending on how fast you can walk, there are a lot of stairs and uphill walking.
Astonishing view of Monaco-Monte Carlo. Love the serenity.
The views from Fort Antoine are great!!! Is a MUST see once you are in Monaco. Totally recommended!
The walk up is fantastic, and the theatre a small gem of isolation with magical views of sea and sky.