Princes Palace Of Monaco, Monaco
About Princes Palace Of Monaco, Monaco
Princes Palace Of Monaco, Monaco - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Place du Palais, Monaco-Ville 98000, Monaco
Ticket Price: 8 EUR
Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 23.1K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Palace, Family And Kids, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The palace began its long and dramatic history in 1191 as a fortress built by Genoa (an independent Italian state). In 1297 it was captured by the Grimaldi family who used it as their seat of power and continue to do so today with the current monarch Prince Albert II residing there. Over the 700 years of Grimaldi rule the palace has been lost and regained, fallen into disrepair and restored, numerous times.
The current palace retains much of its history and also modern restorations by Prince Rainier III and his wife the actress Grace Kelly. It incorporates a variety of styles from different eras as the Grimaldis lacking space for other palaces just added new wings or towers in times of prosperity.
The insides are a picture of opulence and history with rich artwork adorning the walls. The audio guided tour lasts about 45 minutes to an hour; an added bonus is a recorded greeting by Prince Albert II which adds a homely touch. Despite being a tourist attraction the palace is still the prince’s headquarters and home. Sentries guard the palace and the guard change is accompanied with a lot of pomp and show. It is a historical palace that doubles as a home, sort of like Buckingham Palace, with exquisite art and architecture.
Princes Palace Of Monaco Information
- The palace is the focal point of the old town; plan your day around it.
- Arrive by 11:45 am and find a good spot to observe the guard change.
- Audio tour available.
- Great view enhanced by the sunset in the evening.
- It is a steep climb to the State Apartments.
- Guard change at 11:55 am, Baroque entrance, Double horseshoe staircase, Ceilings painted with the Labours of Hercules, Artwork, royal family portraits.
- Parking des Pecheurs.
- The State Apartments are not accessible to those in wheelchairs. Access only by stairs.
Princes Palace Of Monaco Ticket Prices
- Ticket is for State Apartments and Napoleon Museum: Adults- 8 Euros, Children (8-14 years old), Students- 4 Euros.
- Ticket price also includes admission to the attached Napoleon Museum.
- It is possible to buy a double ticket of the Palace and the Oceanographic Museum at 19 Euros for adults, 7 Euros for children aged 4-7, 9 Euros for children aged 8-12 and 11 Euros for children aged 13-18 and students.
How To reach Princes Palace Of Monaco by Public Transport
- Monaco Bus line 1 or 2, which ends at the Place de la Visitation bus stop and signed Terminus Monaco-Ville. The bus stop is next to the Museum Chapelle de la Visitation.
Restaurants Near Princes Palace Of Monaco
- Castelroc (French, highly expensive, casual)
- La Montgolfiere Henri Geraci, it is highly rated (French, moderately expensive, casual)
- Creperie du rocher (French/Italian, inexpensive, casual)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Monaco before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Monaco and book an accommodation of your choice.
Princes Palace Of Monaco, Monaco Reviews - Write a Review
An interesting place. Not a palace in the grand sense but worth a look. There are only so many rooms you can see and they are worth your time. Make sure you are outside for the changing of the guard. If I remember correctly it is around 12:30 daily. Location wise it has it all, views of the mountains overlooking Monaco and the harbour.
Did a walk up instead of the HOHO buses. Breath taking view of the Monaco famous Marina. Did not enter the Palace but spend a lot of time along the small little shop houses and a very good meal outside the palace. At a very reasonable price.. A must visit if in Monaco.
Amazing building and area. Free audio tour with entry (€5). Not a very long tour (still good for the price) but the parts you do get to see are lovely with lots of historic pieces on display.
A great place to learn some of Monaco's history. The palace is beautiful. The visit is short with regard to its price. Try to buy a combo with the Monaco Top Car Collection.
Stunning Palace, €9 to inside but well worth it, really interesting and beautiful, no photos inside however. The views from outside are amazing too and fun to watch the changing of the guard.
- Nearby Attractions
- Villa Victoria
- Bar At The Columbus Monaco
- Rue Plati
- Sheraton Diana Majestic, Milan
- La Rascasse
- Chateau De Nice
- Stade Louis Ii
- Sun Casino
- Port Palace
- Monaco Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Monaco
- What to See in 48 Hours in Monaco
- What to See in 72 Hours in Monaco
- How to Spend 5 Days in Monaco
- How to Spend 6 Days in Monaco
- How to Spend 7 Days in Monaco