Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De MonacoCurrently Closed
- Address: 4 Rue Colonel Bellando de Castro, Monaco-Ville 98000, Monaco
- Timings: 08:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: 377-93308770
- Tags: Art And Culture, Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
About Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco, Monaco
To get all confusion out of the way the Saint Nicholas Cathedral is also known as Cathedrale de Monaco or by its third name the Cathedrale Notre-Dame-Immaculee. A parish church occupying the same spot as the cathedral was built in 1252 and consecrated to Saint Nicholas. The cathedral that stands before you today was built in 1875, interestingly with the same type of white stone from “La Turbie” (a region in France) that was used to build the oceanographic museum. It is the cathedral used for the royal weddings. Apart from the fabulous architecture of the cathedral one can take note of the wooden retable (raised altarpiece) by Renaissance painter Louis Brea painted in the early 16th century. An organ with four keyboards was installed in 1976. It is also famous for being the burial site of many of the Grimaldi family including the man who made modern Monaco into what it is today, Prince Rainier III, and his wife the acclaimed American actress Grace Kelly. From September to June every Sunday at 10am, mass is sung by the cathedral choir Les PetitsChanteurs de Monaco (a choir made up entirely of young boys established in 1904 by Prince Albert I). Unlike the European behemoths it is a small church with clean and modest without any ostentatious displays. It is perfect for a quiet and peaceful prayer.
Light a candle and pray for someone dear to you. The Renaissance altarpiece, Princess Kelly and Prince Rainier III burial sites. A small historically important cathedral.
Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco Information
- Make sure your clothing is respectable, i.e. don’t waltz in wearing swimwear.
- The cathedral is located in the old town, the “Rock”. The Oceanographic Museum and the Prince’s Palace are very close by. Plan your day well and you catch all the nearby sites in a day.
- Breaking one of the Ten Commandments in church premises will result in minus 10 points from you final score.
- Chemin des Pecheurs parking lot is situated under the Oceanographic Museum.
Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco Opening and Closing Hours
- Closed :6:00 pm (winter)
How To reach Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco by Public Transport
- Take bus numbers 1 or 2 in the direction of Monaco Ville and get off at the terminal, Place de la Visitation. Then a short walk to the cathedral.
Restaurants Near Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco
- Restaurant L’Estragon
- La Montgolfiere Henri Geraci, it is highly rated
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Monaco before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Monaco and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco
95% of people who visit Monaco include Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
35.33% of people start their Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco
63.44% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco
Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco Sightseeing Tours
Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco Shore Excursions
Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco Map
Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco Trips
Saint Nicholas Cathedral Or Cathedral De Monaco, Monaco Reviews
This is a beautiful cathedral and the final resting place of Princess Grace. The mosaic of St. Nicholas is breathtaking as well.
Nice little cathedral on a hill in Monaco where Princess Grace and her husband, Prince Ranier are both buried. Not as large as many other cathedrals we have seen in Europe but we'll worth a view if you are in Monaco.
Pretty church, especially for architecture lovers due to its Romenesque / Revival style. I took a couple of photos to share its beauty with others, but taking pictures is officially forbidden up in here (which is a pity because the ambient purple lighting makes would make the photographies spectacular).
Such a beautiful cathedral! Is a MUST once you are in Monaco. Great place. Totally recommended!
Well maintained cathedral with the Grimaldis' tombs. Nice views from the entrance
All QuestionsSaint nicholas cathedral or cathedral de monaco
- Beaminster Social Club
- Wimpole Estate
- Absolute Museum & Gallery Products
- William Hill
- Clarrie Dunbar Indoor Bowls Club
- Space Cinema Grosseto - Qmi
- First View
- Stourhead House And Garden
- Farnworth Railway Station
- Farnworth Little Theatre
- Moses Gate Railway Station
- Farnworth & Kearsley Labour Club
- Ross Platt Mills
- Barton Library