Montego Bay Tourism
On the north shore of Jamaica lies Montego Bay is the second largest city on the island.It is often referred to as “tourist capital of Jamaica”. A laid back place, Montego Bay vacationsare filled with pristine beaches, great shopping and anexciting party scene. Montego Bay or MoBay as it is fondly called, is one of the best holiday destinations in the Caribbean and arguably the world.
A popular tourist hub, most luxury cruises dock in the Freeport. Hundreds of students from the United States plan holidays to Montego Bay for their spring break, as it is known to have the best beach parties and spring break events. Wealthy Kingstonians have luxurious second homes here frequenting it for a quick weekend getaway.
Montego Bay tourism has some thing to offer everyone. The best duty free shopping in the Caribbean, several craft and flea markets and numerous shopping centers make MoBay an exciting prospect for shopaholics! Adventure fiends can occupy their time with the unlimited options of water sports like snorkeling, diving in the blue ocean waters, hire catamarans or just go sailing. For those who want to relax, head to the beach or book yourself into one of the many spas in most luxury hotels. Party animals can indulge, Caribbean style bars with some interesting rum cocktails, all night beach parties, cruise and boat parties are all options to party the night away. Several casinos, known as gaming lounges have opened up all over the city and are a fun way to spend a few hours for amateurs and gamblers alike.
Most Montego Bay tours are incomplete without a visit to The Hip Strip on Gloucester Avenue,which is the heart of tourist activity in the city, with several restaurants, bars and shops attracting tourists and locals alike. There are also several golf courses around the city and one can spend a few hours on the green before heading to the beach to watch some of the best sunsets in the Caribbean! There are also some interesting historic sights from the colonial era and any Montego Bay travel guide would list them as must see options on your trip.
Montego Bay vacations are ideal for those looking for some sun, sand and surf! Almost 80% travellers to Jamaica choose Montego Bay as their port of entry. It is an ideal place to make day trips to other Jamaican cities and beaches.
Essential travel information and Montego Bay tips for your visit
- Use mosquito repellents and nets, as the mosquito problem is quite a concern when visiting Montego Bay. People have been known to contract dengue fever from bites.
- Although crime rate is high, tourists are generally safe if they stick to popular tourist areas.
- Do not carry too much cash or valuables such as jewelry when travelling in the city. Avoid resistance if you find yourself being a victim to mugging.
- Do not travel alone at night, especially women and avoid walking to anywhere in the city in the night. Taxis are your safest bet.
- Homosexuality is prohibited in the country and the laws and punishment are quite severe.
- Contrary to perception, marijuana in illegal in Jamaica and the penalties are high if caught in possession of illegal drugs.
- Prostitution is rampant in the night on the streets of Montego Bay, politely decline and walk away as it is illegal.
- A handshake is an acceptable form of greeting in formal and informal settings.
- Medical treatment is expensive, therefore, it is advisable to have health & travel insurance.
- Negotiate with taxis in advance so you know the exact fare before hand in order to avoid problems later.
Montego Bay Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Montego Bay. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Montego Bay trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Montego Bay
Save 5%An Evening on the Lagoon: Rafting and Luminous Lagoon Tour
6 Hrs2 Reviews
Save 4%Private and Customized Montego Bay Day Tour
4 Hrs21 Reviews