A mere 20 miles from Montego Bay is the Martha Brae River. One of the top activities in Jamaica is to go rafting on this river. There are over 80 licensed and well-informed raft captains to guide you on bamboo rafts through picturesque sights along the banks.
Trips begin at the Martha Brae Village and end three miles downstream at Martha's Rest. Martha Brae village is a 6-acre horseshoe-shaped island. The village has been set up as the entrance to the Martha Brae rafting experience and features a bar, two gift shops, pool, gardens, picnic area and a herb garden named "Martha's Herb Garden". “Martha’s Rest” also offers a souvenir shop, bar, lounge area and restrooms.
There is adequate parking for buses waiting to pick up rafters at the end of their trip. The tour includes round trip transportation from your hotel.
Martha Brae River Travel Tips
- The raft captains expect you to buy their crafted items or a tip. It is not very expensive so have a look.
- Carry a Bathing suit.
- Dress in comfortable clothing.
- The river is only 4 feet deep except in the monsoons so don’t worry about it being dangerous.
How to Reach Martha Brae River
- Most raft bookings include transfers from your hotel. You can also rent a car and drive up to the river village, as it is only 30 minutes from Montego Bay.
- There are bars and restaurants at both ends of the journey.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Montego Bay before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Montego Bay and book an accommodation of your choice.
69.04% of people who visit Montego Bay include Martha Brae River in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
43.02% of people start their Martha Brae River visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Martha Brae River
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Martha Brae River