Sam Sharpe SquareCurrently Open
- Address: Sam Sharpe Square, Fort Street Montego Bay ,Jamica, Jamaica
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Observatory, Educational Site, Monument, Entertainment, Family And Kids, Nature
Sam Sharpe Square - Review
Once called the Parade, the square is now named for the Right Excellent Samuel Sharpe (1801–32), a national hero of Jamaica and leader of the 1831 Christmas Rebellion. The square is lined with Georgian buildings alongside modern ones. There are also monuments commemorating the history of the square.
The points of interest on the square are:
- The Sam Sharpe Monument: Designed by Kay Sullivan and cast in bronze. It portrays Sharpe holding his Bible and speaking to his people.
- The Cage: An erstwhile jail for slaves, drunks and petty criminals.
- The Freedom Monument: A monument erected in 2007 and dedicated to enslaved people who participated in 1831-32 war of emancipation.
- The Court House: Built in 1883, it is now a Civic Centre with a museum, performances and art galleries.
Sam Sharpe Square Information
- Be careful near the cobblestoned area as it is a round-about and traffic has right of way.
- Be firm and politely decline if hustlers approach you and ask for money in exchange for information about the squares history.
How To reach Sam Sharpe Square by Public Transport
- Taxis, car rentals and buses are easily available here.
Restaurants Near Sam Sharpe Square
- Chester Fried Chicken
- Island Grill
- Cook Shop
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Montego Bay before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Montego Bay and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Sam Sharpe Square
45.19% of people who visit Montego Bay include Sam Sharpe Square in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
36.11% of people start their Sam Sharpe Square visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Sam Sharpe Square
79.37% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sam Sharpe Square
Sam Sharpe Square Trips
Sam Sharpe Square, Montego Bay Reviews
The square is ok. It's a bit stuck into the whole town, maybe if it stands out more as a representative of the real history of the square and the valuable memories held there. It is right next to the Montego Bay Cultural Center and just on the the side of St James Street. The area could be a little park in the middle of the town, if we wanna talk about having a vision. #makemobaygreat. Thanks for reading.
The "main square" if you can even call it that. A museum on one side, and a couple banks with ATMs on the other. In between are people going to work and children going to school.
Was surprised how many people there had supposedly met me at the airport, even though I came in by boat ... be careful these guys will walk and talk with you for a while and then claim a fee for having served as a guide!
The center of the town of Montego Bay, Jamaica. Fantastic central water fountain and statues of heroes and home to the civil center. Scenic .
I'm looking for a man named Charles Watson aka " Paul".He used to live at 38 Church street, Mobay. ..Does anyone know him? Or he lives?