Lake El Estro was once a brackish saltwater lagoon, until in 1874, the stream connecting the lagoon to the bay was cut off, and this became freshwater paradise. And what paradise! The lake hosts a thriving ecosystem.
Over 300 species of birds call this park a home, including many migratory varieties. Turtles, fish and frogs also find home in this pretty pond. And you can enjoy this diversity from the park’s other attractions, such as:
- The Dennis The Menace Playground- World famous in it’s own right, the playground was helped along by Mr. hank Ketchum himself. It’s got a big number of fantastic structures including a bridge, a maze, an adventure ship and a steam engine.
- The Monterey Skate Park- Designed by local skateboarders, you can be sure a lot of love went into the making of this.
- The Exercise Course- The 1.2mile running course with three exercise station clusters (each with 6 stations each) was scientifically designed to give you a full body workout.
- Fishing- Rainbow trout, Sacramento perch, Sacramento blackfish, Sacramento hitch, carp, tule perch and yellow bullet heads. There are piers all along the park, and fishing licence is a must.
- Paddle Boat- Rent and explore.
Nearby, you’ll find the Monterey State Beach, the Monterey Bay Waterfront Park, and the Monterey Bay Coastal Recreation Trail.
El Estero Park Complex Travel Tips
- Feeding the birds is prohibited.
- You must have a licence to fish.
How to Reach El Estero Park Complex
- Bus no. 20, 56, 74, 75. 76, 78 stop Del Monte / Aguajito
- Sapporo Japanese Steakhouse
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Monterey before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Monterey and book an accommodation of your choice.
31.26% of people who visit Monterey include El Estero Park Complex in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
54.9% of people start their El Estero Park Complex visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see El Estero Park Complex
79.31% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting El Estero Park Complex