Monterey Bay Aquarium4269 Votes Currently Closed
Monterey Bay Aquarium is public aquarium in Monterey, California. This second largest aquarium in the world located in California's central coast, end of Cannery Row. Almost 2 million people visit this aquarium annually, and boy does it live up to the hype! The residents here are mostly sealife and include over 600 species of plants and animals. The main monterey bay aquarium exhibits are:
- The Kelp Forest: This exhibit is the museums centerpiece, and since kelp grows quickly, the open aquarium requires divers to regularly trim the kelp. Watching the forest through the glass is kind of hypnotic.
- Giant Pacific Octopus: Clever, mysterious and playful, this dude is charming.
- Open Sea: Tuna, sharks (hammerheads!), sardines, sea turtles, puffins, and jellyfish.
- Life on The Bay: Educational exhibit with life-size models of whales and dolphins.
- Sea Otters: Playful and cute as anything, they do crazy tricks.
- Sandy Shore and Aviaries: Mud-flats, marshes, birds and flounders.
- Splash Zone and Penguins: Rockfish, sharks, crabs and penguins.
- Rocky Shore: Mussels, eels, anemone and barnacles.
Occasionally, the Aquarium will hold special exhibits, such as Tentacles and Jellyfish, striving to be the most diverse experience possible of their kind, gathering every possible major specimen in their categories. They’re splendid and educational. Monterey bay aquarium events 2018 include -
- Evenings by the Bay - start from 30th June to 1st Sep, 6 pm –8 pm
- Member Night: Picnic by the Bay - 12th July 2018, 7 pm – 9 pm
- Members' After-Hours Party - 15th Sept, 7 pm – 11 pm
- Fiesta Del Mar - 14th Oct, 10 am – 5 pm
- Members' Halloween - 27th Oct, 7 pm – 10 pm
- Veterans day weekend - 10th Nov - 12th Nov, 10 am – 5 pm
- Members' Holiday event - 30th Nov, 7 pm – 10 pm
- Community Open House - 1st Dec – 9 Dec, 10 am — 5 pm
Food wise, you can avails the onsite facilities or just enjoy the picnic area!
Also, these guys are a full service event hosting groups- decor, food, fun, and music. Contact them.
Monterey Bay Aquarium Travel Tips
- The gift shop contains clothes, plush toys, gifts and other souvenirs.
- Fully accessible to the disabled.
- There is metred monterey bay aquarium parking nearby and bicycle parking across the street.
- Wheelchairs are available for free on first-com first-serve basis.
- Personal photography only.
- Locker facility available.
Entrance Ticket Details For Monterey Bay Aquarium
Monterey bay aquarium tickets -
- Adult: USD 49.95
- Child: USD 29.95
- Senior/Student: USD 39.95
Monterey bay aquarium tour -
- Family tour ticket price: USD 15
- Underwater explorers tour tickets: USD 95
- Sleepovers tour price: USD 125
- Feed the Fish tour price: USD 15
- Feeding Frenzy tour price: USD 65
- Jellies and Open Sea tour price: USD 15
- Shark tour price: USD 30
- Sea Otter Conservation tour price: USD 15
- Personal Guided tour price (Max 10 person): USD 180 (6 personS) and USD 30 for each extra persons.
- Behind-the-Scenes tour price: USD 15
Monterey Bay Aquarium Hours
Monterey bay aquarium timings -
- Everyday: 9:30 am –6 pm
- Cafe: 11 am to 4 pm
- Coffee Bar: 9:30 am – 6 pm
- Cindy's Waterfront: 11 am - 3 pm
- Hours may vary by month and season.
Aquarium shows & feeding time -
- monterey bay aquarium Sea Otter feeding time: 10:30 am, 1:30 pm, 3:30 pm
- Penguin feeding time: 10:30 am, 3 pm
- Open Sea feeding time: 11 am
- Mysteries of the deep sea: 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm
- Luna: A Sea Otter's Story: 11:30 am, 2 pm, 4 pm
- Kelp forest feeding: 11:30 am, 4 pm
- Project White Shark: 12 pm, 1:30 pm, 3:30 pm
- Gray whales, brown pelicans and elephant seals: 12:30 pm, 2:30 pm., 4:30 pm
- Seabirds feeding: 1:30 pm
- Behind the Glass: 5 pm, 5:30 pm
How to Reach Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Buses 1, 2, 21
- Cindy’s Waterfront
- Coffee Bar
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Monterey before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Monterey and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Monterey include Monterey Bay Aquarium in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
73.53% of people start their Monterey Bay Aquarium visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Monterey Bay Aquarium
52.47% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Monterey Bay Aquarium
Monterey Bay Aquarium Reviews & Ratings
This is one of the best places in the world to go to. They have awesome sit down restaurant in the back. They provide binoculars and a sustainable seafood menu. The fish and chips, and fish tacos are pretty killer. The aquarium exhibits are state of the art. They have every type of fish you can imagine that is off the coast of California. The open water exhibit has to be the best though. With the sun fish calmly swimming by and the Mahi ambushing the sardines, then the hammerhead sharks circling the tank. It is quite the experience. They have a great hands on kids areas for all of them to burn off energy and truly experience what all the aquarium has to offer. My personal favorite of the whole thing is the whale skeleton hanging inside by the film auditorium. This aquarium is the best in the world. Hands down.
My Son loves coming here to see and learn about all the sea life. There is so much to look at and explore, the staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the many various animals. The views are spectacular you almost feel as if your under the sea swimming with the animals. They also show the impact that humans have and what we can do improve the quality of life for them and us. There is a cafe and seating area to enjoy your meals, as well as a gift shop. The gift shop has lots of trinkets and stuffed animals, toys for the kids,adults and more. The shows are always entertaining and very informative. There is also an area to interact with the animals, you can touch and hold them which is always fun. The jellyfish exhibit is amazing to see and perfect for photos, there is also an outdoor area that connects to the ocean with beautiful views of Monterey bay. I would definitely recommend making a trip to see nature up close and learn about sea life.
I love this place so much. I have amazing memories from going as a child and live making new memories with my kids. There are two interactive, educational areas for toddlers and they are so. much. fun. It's great watching them play games and learn about the kelp forest, otters and snowy plovers. Admission is a little steep, so if you're planning on going more than once in a year, get a membership, it pays for itself. Family memberships are $300 and when each adult (over 12) is $50 and each kid (3-11) is $35, it just makes sense.
What needs to be said about the MBA? It's hard to say as I've grown up seeing this beautiful educational location flourish. It's a great place to take the kids, a great date, a great afternoon on your own. There really isn't a bad time to go and hang out with all the amazing exhibits. Also, if you can swing it, my daughter and I highly recommend splurging for an overnight some time. It is magical!
Loved our trip to Monterrey bay Aquarium. We got free passes from our friend who works in Santa Cruz. We took our kids for Underwater Explorers program (ages 8-13yo). My girls loved the experience. They were thrilled and had fun. They went to into tide pool with trainers which is on the back of aquarium. Cafeteria was super expensive. Kids got free hot cocoa card with their explorer program. We got coffee(not very hot) and super small size cup with double the price. It was okay. The staff was very helpful, kind, and polite. I was impressed with the detailed program they crafted for kids. Definitely recommend going there. It's quite expensive.
What is the name of the big orange jellyfish that I saw in your Aquarium in April, 2019?Answer Report Abuse
Consider calling them at Monterey Bay Aquarium contact number 1-8316484800 for information about this.Report Abuse
Is it woth going to the aquarium in the rain?Answer Report Abuse
Definitely! The Monterey Bay Aquarium is one of the best things to do in Monterey, not to mention the world's second largest.Report Abuse
are any of the California Sunfish in the aquarium during this month?Answer Report Abuse
Some of the fish that you can see in the Monterey Bay Aquarium include
- Cownose Ray
- Deepsea Angler Fish
- California Baracudda
- California Halibut
- California Moray Eel
- California Sheephead
- Galapagos Shark
- Leafy Sea Dragon
For more information about the opening and closing timings of aquarium, click hereReport Abuse