Monterey State Historic Park1679 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 20 Custom House Plaza, Monterey, CA 93940, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8316497118
- Tags: Church, Garden, Historical Site, Monument, Play, Family And Kids, Town
The Monterey History and Art Association must be saluted for what they did for this place. It is nothing short of fantastic. Along a two mile path lie 55 historic buildings, this self-guided tour is marked by the yellow tiles set into the sidewalk. An informative and interactive map of the tour can be found online for those who want to do this by the book. Among the most important building here include:
- The Royal Presidio Chapel – Oldest building in town; built by the Spanish.
- Robert Louis Stevenson House – Treasure Island, the novel, was born here.
- Colton Hall – Monterey’s premier theatre destination since 1850.
- The Custom House – Oldest government building in California; California State Historic Monument #1.
- Pacific House – A history museum now, that has since 1847, served as has a military supply storage site, a hotel, a church and a ballroom.
If you can, catch the Monterey History Fest here during October. The whole town goes crazy re-enacting favourite historical moments such as fandangos, pirate activities, military encampments; the California Constitutional Convention, and Sloat’s Landing Ceremony (during which, on July 7th 1846, California was declared a part of the USA).
Make sure to also check out the beautiful gardens such as the Memory (Pacific House Museum); Casa Soberanes garden (corner of Pacific Street and Del Monte Avenue); Stevenson House garden (530 Houston Street); and Larkin House garden (Jefferson St.)
Monterey State Historic Park Hours
- Garden hours are 9 am - 5 pm (May-Sept) and 10 am - 4 pm (Oct-April).
How to Reach Monterey State Historic Park
- Buses 1, 22, 55, 69, 70, 75, 76, 78 stop Pacific/Scott
- Food on Fisherman’s Wharf.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Monterey before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Monterey and book an accommodation of your choice.
92.41% of people who visit Monterey include Monterey State Historic Park in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
54.37% of people start their Monterey State Historic Park visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Monterey State Historic Park
93.85% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Monterey State Historic Park