A quintessentially French city where Rome failed to mark its influence, Montpellier gleams with French culture reflecting trough public squares, museums and emblems of literary art. Situated in the South of France, the city is the capital of Languedoc-Roussillon region, as well as the Hérault department. Montpellier seduces the visitors with its sheer elegance, French manners and a Mediterranean climate which allures with warm sun and a delectable cuisine. One of the cities where industrialization hasn’t been able to clutch its hold, Montpellier radiates with intelligentsia thanks to its famous University with historical bearings.
Neo- classical, Gothic and Modern architecture co-exist in a rhythmic harmony in Montpellier’s cityscape with splashy new districts such as Antigone on the one hand and an Old Town which makes us nostalgic for a culture gone by, on the other. Dotted with boutiques and street side cafes, vineyards and lovely terraces, Montpellier definitely enthralls the travelers with its vivacity. Meander through its narrow medieval streets and discover the gorgeous private mansions which retell a story of French High Culture.
Essential travel information and Montpellier tips for your visit
- For travelling in the tram services, be sure to validate your ticket in the machines, as being found without a valid ticket will result in an on-the-spot fine. Not speaking French or being a traveller will not be accepted as an excuse.
- The visitors should avoid distant tours on weekends as the public transport runs less frequently and most of the museums and destinations remain closed.
- Since French people are somewhat reserved in their characters, any kind of public display of insobriety is rare among the French and is frowned upon.
- French etiquette demands proper and formal clothing especially when in restaurants and other formal settings.
- Although the city’s streets are generally safe to walk during the day or the night, it is not advisable for female holiday travellers to be out alone after dark.
- The tourists will be able to find English speakers only in popular hotels and at some shops and restaurants.
- French fashion comes out at its best in summers. So, accessorize well with sunshades, scarves and jewellery that befits you in French culture.
Montpellier Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Montpellier. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Montpellier trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Montpellier
Save 3%Small-Group Half-Day Chteaux of Montpellier Wine Tour
3 Hrs 18 Mins3 Reviews
Save 7%Pic Saint Loup Winetour and homemade lunch
5 Hrs8 Reviews
Small-Group Tour of Noilly Prat Vermouth Cellar with Tasting in MarseillanNew on TripHobo
Save 3%Small-Group Half-Day Languedoc Pic Saint-Loup Wine Tour from Montpellier
3 Hrs 30 Mins13 Reviews