Antigone is the new district in the neighbourhood of Montpellier which strikes the tourists with its architectural designs created by cataconian architect Ricardo Bofill. Within just 5 minutes from the city, this sector defines the modern self of Montpellier in juxtaposition to the Old Town which resonates with history. Co-opting a classical name, Antigone exhibits a range of neo- classical buildings with wide avenues and trees, fountains and large expanses of water. Structured on the architecture of Ancient Greece, the district preserves a classical aura with the street names such as L’Acropole and Rue de Thembes and Squares which have been named as Place de Marathon, Place de Sparte etc. Exploring the district, the visitors shall be left to wonder at:
- The facade of Polygone shopping centre which is typical neo- classical style with diagonal staircase leading up to the top, named as “Les Eschelles de la Ville” – “the ladders of the town”.
- The dramatic architecture of the district with wide boulevards and squares.
- Place de la Europe, which is a huge semi- circular area with a crescent of buildings.
- River Lez which adds to the natural charm of the district.
- The Olympic swimming pool.
- Place du Nombre d
- Emile- Zola Library
- Town Hall of Montpellier recently opened in 2010- an emblem of modern architecture.
The visitors can take a guided tour around the district or can just stroll around to admire its art and architecture.
Antigone Travel Tips
- There are many guided tours available from Montpellier.
How to Reach Antigone
- Nearest Train station : Montpellier Saint Roch
- Nearest Tram Stop : Leon Blum
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Montpellier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Montpellier and book an accommodation of your choice.
38.27% of people who visit Montpellier include Antigone in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
47.87% of people start their Antigone visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Antigone
93.86% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Antigone