Jardin Des Plantes De Montpellier, Montpellier
About Jardin Des Plantes De Montpellier, Montpellier
Jardin Des Plantes De Montpellier, Montpellier - Address, Phone Number
Address: Boulevard Henri IV, 34967 Montpellier, France
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 12:00 pm - 08:00 pm Details
Added 5K times in trip plans
Garden, Park, Botanical Garden, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Nature and history collude in order to make this Botanical Garden one of the most visited destinations in Montpellier. One of the oldest Botanical gardens in Europe, Jardin des plantes was established in 1593 by King Henri IV, under the leadership of Pierre Richer de Belleval, professor of Botany and Anatomy. The garden is a pleasant relaxing escape whose flora and fauna bespeak of the garden’s historicity. The beauty and significance of the garden can be testified from the fact that it served as a model for designing all the botanical gardens in France. The garden has grown out its humble proportions which consisted of just a "mountain" - plus space for a plant collection. Today, the garden consists of a systems school, an arboretum, and a landscaped park. Strolling around the garden, the visitors will come across:
- Montagne de Richer - a Cistaceae collection
- Systematic Garden: Here, the plants have been classified according to the Bentham & Hooker system, 1883.
- Medicinal plants
- Orangery and cold greenhouse
- Palm trees
- Naturalized Plants: flora which belongs to a locale other than their place of origin.
Jardin Des Plantes De Montpellier Information
- Botanical Garden strictly prohibits pets, bikes, scooters, roller blades and picnics.
- The visitors can choose for themed tours organised by garden’s staff from Monday to Friday, in the morning between 8:30 am – 12 noon, in the afternoon between 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm.
How To reach Jardin Des Plantes De Montpellier by Public Transport
- Tramway/Streetcar line: ligne 1 Arret Albert 1er.
- Bus no 6 and 7 at “Peyrou”.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Montpellier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Montpellier and book an accommodation of your choice.
Jardin Des Plantes De Montpellier, Montpellier Reviews - Write a Review
I love the beauty and calm of the place. The design is harmonic and not forced. Best place to relax.
Delightfully maintained gardens founded in 1593AD to aid teaching in the adjacent medical school, the oldest in the world founded in 1137AD
A beautiful garden hidden in the center of Montpellier. Great for an escape after a shopping spree in the city center.
Wonderful place for reading a book or to just enjoy the nature.
Poor plants, poor trees.... I was so disappointed. They need to take care of this garden.
- Nearby Attractions
- La Tour De La Babote
- Parc Zoologique De Montpellier
- Musée Atger
- Theatre Le Point Com' (montpellier)
- Le Zénith
- Restaurant Montpellier - Le Petit Jardin
- Stade De La Mosson
- Papa Doble
- Opéra National De Montpellier
- Presbytère Saint Denis
- Montpellier Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Montpellier
- What to See in 48 Hours in Montpellier
- What to See in 72 Hours in Montpellier
- How to Spend 5 Days in Montpellier
- How to Spend 6 Days in Montpellier
- How to Spend 7 Days in Montpellier