Jardin Des Plantes De MontpellierCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: Boulevard Henri IV, 34967 Montpellier, France
- Timings: 12:00 pm - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +33-434433620
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Garden, Park, Botanical Garden, Family And Kids, Nature
Nature and history collude in order to make this Botanical Garden one of the most visited destinations in Montpellier. One of the oldest Botanical gardens in Europe, Jardin des plantes was established in 1593 by King Henri IV, under the leadership of Pierre Richer de Belleval, professor of Botany and Anatomy. The garden is a pleasant relaxing escape whose flora and fauna bespeak of the garden’s historicity. The beauty and significance of the garden can be testified from the fact that it served as a model for designing all the botanical gardens in France. The garden has grown out its humble proportions which consisted of just a "mountain" - plus space for a plant collection. Today, the garden consists of a systems school, an arboretum, and a landscaped park. Strolling around the garden, the visitors will come across:
- Montagne de Richer - a Cistaceae collection
- Systematic Garden: Here, the plants have been classified according to the Bentham & Hooker system, 1883.
- Medicinal plants
- Orangery and cold greenhouse
- Palm trees
- Naturalized Plants: flora which belongs to a locale other than their place of origin.
- Botanical Garden strictly prohibits pets, bikes, scooters, roller blades and picnics.
- The visitors can choose for themed tours organised by garden’s staff from Monday to Friday, in the morning between 8:30 am – 12 noon, in the afternoon between 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm.
- Tramway/Streetcar line: ligne 1 Arret Albert 1er.
- Bus no 6 and 7 at “Peyrou”.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Montpellier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Montpellier and book an accommodation of your choice.
90.81% of people who visit Montpellier include Jardin Des Plantes De Montpellier in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
63.98% of people start their Jardin Des Plantes De Montpellier visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Jardin Des Plantes De Montpellier
70.7% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Jardin Des Plantes De Montpellier
This a beautiful and peaceful garden with lots of interesting different plants and trees to discover. It's a perfect place to go and chill out on your own with a book, you can play with the cats that are living there too. It's a great park for visitors because there is no charge for entry.
Nice quiet escape from all the shopping and touristy things to do in Montpellier. The garden could do with a little more watering and care, but it's still pretty with a good variety of plants. It would probably be a good place for a picnic. Only wish the greenhouse was opened!
Make sure you check out the whole park! There is a second side that is hard to find! Many flowers are a bit dried but he landscaping is beautiful. I even say a cat jumping at a butterfly. So peaceful
Hi could use a bit of extra rain. Fantastic lotus pond, unreal selection of local spices to touch and scent. good selection of imported trees as the old fashion was. Nice place
Good natural preserve for many types of plants and tree. The entry is free and well layed-out plan. There are walking trails and a guiding pampflet provided at enterence. You need minimum 2 hours to visit each place but this is the place to spend a day there.