Porte Du PeyrouCurrently Open
- Address: Rue Foch, 34000 Montpellier, France
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Art And Culture, Garden, Park, Landmark, Family And Kids, Architecture , Picnic Spot
Porte Du Peyrou - Review
Located in the eastern end of the Jardin du Peyrou, Porte Du Peyrou is a triumphal arch designed by Francois Dorbay. Replicating the world famous Porte Saint Denis in Paris, the arch is crowned by Doric entablature, symbolic of a martial monument. The arch was dedicated to the glory of Louis XIV with panels and inscriptions in praise of him. The reliefs embedded within its structure serve as allegories for:
- Capture of Namur by Louis XIV.
- Louis being crowned by Victory, symbolised by the figure og Hercules.
- The digging of Canal du Midi.
- The Revocation of the Edict of Nantes.
The arch is situated on the highest point of Montpellier and therefore, offers a stunning view of the city and the surroundings.
Porte Du Peyrou Information
- Take a walking tour in order to have a better guidance about the landmark.
How To reach Porte Du Peyrou by Public Transport
- Nearest Train Station: Saint-Roch train station.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Montpellier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Montpellier and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Porte Du Peyrou
95% of people who visit Montpellier include Porte Du Peyrou in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
45.41% of people start their Porte Du Peyrou visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Porte Du Peyrou
53.13% of people prefer walking in order to reach Porte Du Peyrou