Are you looking for what to do in Montpellier?
PLACES TO SEE
- Comedie Opera House: An emblem of France’s culture, Opera Comedie is a 19th century theatre which was inspired by the Paris Opera. The architecture is a marvel in itself with a spacious inside shaped like a Bell and decorated with a series of galleries with wide corridors.
- Museums: With a varied range of artistic treasures, Montpellier fascinates and curates to the lovers of Art with its museums. If you want to look at the visual paintings, visit Museum Fabre, which houses a number of paintings from the most significant artistic trends in Europe. For people who are fascinated by the local tradition and folklore material, a visit to ‘ Musee Des Vieux’ is a must.
- The Museum of Languedoc displays a beautiful range of artefacts which include Romanesque, Gothic, Flemish tapestries, paintings and furnishings typical of the Languedoc, porcelains.
- Montpellier Cathedral: Considered to be the national monument of France, Montpellier Cathedral is a historic building which inspires spirituality and grandeur. It has been the seat of the Arch Bishop of Montpellier.
- Antigone district: Representative of Montpellier’s modern self, Antigone district uses ancient Greek motifs and designs as an inspiration and has become the centre of flats, shops and restaurants.
THINGS TO DO
- Planet Galilee: Situated on the eastern side of Montpellier, Planet Galilee is a well known planetarium which offers a great deal of interactive activities for children.
- Faculty of Medicine: Representative of the 12th century, Faculty of Medicine, is the oldest medical school in the occidental world still in operation.
- La Promenade Royale du Peyrou: French parks have always been an integral part of French culture. This park is a perfect recreational oasis away from the bustle of the city.
- Old Town: Take a stroll around the narrow century’s old streets bordered with old and modern art, savouring French cuisine and listening to the French music resonating from the Squares.
Below we have a list of things to do in Montpellier and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Montpellier getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Montpellier with confidence.