Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai
About Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai
Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai - Address, Phone Number
Address: Pa O Don Chai Road, A. Muang, Chiang Rai, 57000, Thailand
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 06:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 10.6K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Although considered to be bit odd, the Wat Rong Khun, or the White Temple, is considered to be one of the main attractions of not just Chiang Rai but the whole of Thailand. This Buddhist temple features murals that have contemporary bearings such as a mural depicting a plane hitting the Twin Towers as Spiderman and an Angry Bird look on. This temple has been designed by the artist Chalermchai Kositpipat and is acclaimed for its incredibly detailed, all-white exterior that is symbolic of Buddha's purity. The bridge to the entrance crosses over a sea of arms reaching out for help from the fiery depths of hell. Evil is symbolically strewn around the temple in the shape of skulls, demon heads, and pop-cultural figures from the underworld. Inside the temple, the decor swiftly moves from pristine white to fiery and bewildering. Some of the bizarre murals are that of:
- Swirling orange flames and demon faces
- Western idols such as Michael Jackson, Neo from The Matrix, Freddy Kruger, and a T-800 series Terminator.
- Images of nuclear warfare, terrorist attacks, and oil pumps hammer home the destructive impact that humans have had on earth.
- Harry Potter, Superman, and Hello Kitty
The temple is still under construction and is free to visit.
Wat Rong Khun Information
- Because of the white surface, reflective materials and mostly open unshaded layout of the temple, on warm sunny days the temple can feel quite hot and bright. To beat the heat, you may want to visit early morning or at least take your typical sunny weather precautions in terms of clothing, hats, sunscreen, water, etc.
- Be respectful of Buddha images and particularly mindful of your behavior at the main temple hall. Photography is allowed throughout the grounds but not within the walls of the White Temple.
Wat Rong Khun Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
Wat Rong Khun Opening and Closing Hours
The art gallery inside the temple is open as:
- Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:30 pm.
- On Saturday, Sunday and national holidays the gallery is open from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
How To reach Wat Rong Khun by Public Transport
- You can go by songthaew (the covered pick-up trucks you find throughout much of Thailand).
- Take the public bus from platforms 7 and 8 of the old bus station.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chiang Rai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chiang Rai and book an accommodation of your choice.
Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai Reviews - Write a Review
The temple was awesome. The crowds were not. Don't go on Sunday at 10am. We couldn't even get a picture because they were herding us through the walkway. Our friends went before closing and had a much better experience. Good luck! Hope you can enjoy the beautiful architecture!
Having visited 30 countries and 6 continents, I consider myself to be a world traveler - but I've never seen a more magnificent and magical site and monument as the White Temple. The site itself is an enchanting experience. Be sure to take enough time (more than the tours usually allow) and stroll through because as you do, you will continue to notice new details in the artistry. This is a very peaceful place and a good one to release intentions and inhale some zen.
Bright, white and detailed temple. Worth the drive and the 50 Baht. Bring sunglasses and long pants. There were huge beehives under the roof of one of the temples. Nice little attraction most visitors probably miss
If you're in the area, you should definitely make a visit. I've been yearning to visit this temple for ages, but the crowds kind of took the magic away... If only they would bother to manage the crowd a little / not let too many people in at one time. Entrance costs 50baht per person. Overall it's super pretty but also super touristy!!
Photos can describe you how beautiful of this architecture. Good place to stop by and enjoy human faith and believe. A landmark you should not miss.
- Nearby Attractions
- Wat Rong Khun White Temple
- Golden Triangle Tour
- Golden Pine Resort&spa Chiang Rai
- Bodhi Serene Chiang Mai
- Rong Suea Ten Temple
- The Wanderer
- Chiang Rai Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Chiang Rai
- What to See in 48 Hours in Chiang Rai
- What to See in 72 Hours in Chiang Rai
- How to Spend 5 Days in Chiang Rai
- How to Spend 6 Days in Chiang Rai
- How to Spend 7 Days in Chiang Rai