Wat Rong Khun, Chiang RaiCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: Pa O Don Chai Road, A. Muang, Chiang Rai, 57000, Thailand
- Timings: 06:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +66-53673579
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
About Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai
Although considered to be bit odd, the Wat Rong Khun, or the White Temple, is considered to be one of the main attractions of not just Chiang Rai but the whole of Thailand. This Buddhist temple features murals that have contemporary bearings such as a mural depicting a plane hitting the Twin Towers as Spiderman and an Angry Bird look on. This temple has been designed by the artist Chalermchai Kositpipat and is acclaimed for its incredibly detailed, all-white exterior that is symbolic of Buddha's purity. The bridge to the entrance crosses over a sea of arms reaching out for help from the fiery depths of hell. Evil is symbolically strewn around the temple in the shape of skulls, demon heads, and pop-cultural figures from the underworld. Inside the temple, the decor swiftly moves from pristine white to fiery and bewildering. Some of the bizarre murals are that of:
- Swirling orange flames and demon faces
- Western idols such as Michael Jackson, Neo from The Matrix, Freddy Kruger, and a T-800 series Terminator.
- Images of nuclear warfare, terrorist attacks, and oil pumps hammer home the destructive impact that humans have had on earth.
- Harry Potter, Superman, and Hello Kitty
The temple is still under construction and is free to visit.
Wat Rong Khun Information
- Because of the white surface, reflective materials and mostly open unshaded layout of the temple, on warm sunny days the temple can feel quite hot and bright. To beat the heat, you may want to visit early morning or at least take your typical sunny weather precautions in terms of clothing, hats, sunscreen, water, etc.
- Be respectful of Buddha images and particularly mindful of your behavior at the main temple hall. Photography is allowed throughout the grounds but not within the walls of the White Temple.
Wat Rong Khun Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
Wat Rong Khun Opening and Closing Hours
The art gallery inside the temple is open as:
- Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:30 pm.
- On Saturday, Sunday and national holidays the gallery is open from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
How To reach Wat Rong Khun by Public Transport
- You can go by songthaew (the covered pick-up trucks you find throughout much of Thailand).
- Take the public bus from platforms 7 and 8 of the old bus station.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Chiang Rai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chiang Rai and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Wat Rong Khun
95% of people who visit Chiang Rai include Wat Rong Khun in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
31.63% of people start their Wat Rong Khun visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Wat Rong Khun
92.85% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Wat Rong Khun
Wat Rong Khun Culture & Theme Based Tours
Wat Rong Khun Sightseeing Tours
Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai Reviews
The most beautiful temple I have ever seen so far. Probably one of the best architectural projects in general. The white colour (with the sparking glasses) create a beautiful contrast with the blue sky. It is new (the complex is not even completed ). The entrance fee is absolutely reasonable (50 baht only). Be aware that there are a lot of tourists so I suggest to go there at 9 am (also the sun is on the back and you can take better pictures)
Really find details. Not that expensive to visit, only 50 baht. Very good quality. Awesome job with the detail, although some of the glass stuck on looks tacky. The concept of the hands coming up from below ground representing the evil people is great. There are still buildings under construction which will make this place even better. Definitely make time to visit the on-site gallery.
Cheap entrance. Loads to see and do, make sure you've comfortable shoes and dress appropriately. Absolutely stunning. Must see. Very touristy. Tour guilds all around. If you want to see loads of places it's always best to go early.
The atmosphere is perfect! It is a good site to visit in the quiet Chiang Rai. We only need to pay around 50 baht/person to enter. I think to visit it in the morning time will be the best since the haze will make it more aesthetic and beautiful. There are gift shops and a gallery here to make your visit better. The thing I dont know is the access by public transportation.
Most definitely one of those don't miss attractions. Most of the your buses arrive in the morning so it'll be busy then but we actually waited around for the gift shop to open up after it's lunch break so we were there at 1pm and it was much more quieter. Rode a scooter here, easy to find and quiet roads