Wat Rong Khun1409 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Pa O Don Chai Road, A. Muang, Chiang Rai, 57000, Thailand
- Timings: 06:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +66-53673579
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Although considered to be bit odd, the Wat Rong Khun, or the White Temple, is considered to be one of the main attractions of not just Chiang Rai but the whole of Thailand. This Buddhist temple features murals that have contemporary bearings such as a mural depicting a plane hitting the Twin Towers as Spiderman and an Angry Bird look on. This temple has been designed by the artist Chalermchai Kositpipat and is acclaimed for its incredibly detailed, all-white exterior that is symbolic of Buddha's purity. The bridge to the entrance crosses over a sea of arms reaching out for help from the fiery depths of hell. Evil is symbolically strewn around the temple in the shape of skulls, demon heads, and pop-cultural figures from the underworld. Inside the temple, the decor swiftly moves from pristine white to fiery and bewildering. Some of the bizarre murals are that of:
- Swirling orange flames and demon faces
- Western idols such as Michael Jackson, Neo from The Matrix, Freddy Kruger, and a T-800 series Terminator.
- Images of nuclear warfare, terrorist attacks, and oil pumps hammer home the destructive impact that humans have had on earth.
- Harry Potter, Superman, and Hello Kitty
The temple is still under construction and is free to visit.
Wat Rong Khun Travel Tips
- Because of the white surface, reflective materials and mostly open unshaded layout of the temple, on warm sunny days the temple can feel quite hot and bright. To beat the heat, you may want to visit early morning or at least take your typical sunny weather precautions in terms of clothing, hats, sunscreen, water, etc.
- Be respectful of Buddha images and particularly mindful of your behavior at the main temple hall. Photography is allowed throughout the grounds but not within the walls of the White Temple.
Entrance Ticket Details For Wat Rong Khun
- Entry is free.
Wat Rong Khun Hours
The art gallery inside the temple is open as:
- Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:30 pm.
- On Saturday, Sunday and national holidays the gallery is open from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
How to Reach Wat Rong Khun
- You can go by songthaew (the covered pick-up trucks you find throughout much of Thailand).
- Take the public bus from platforms 7 and 8 of the old bus station.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Chiang Rai before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Chiang Rai and book an accommodation of your choice.
76.04% of people who visit Chiang Rai include Wat Rong Khun in their plan
51.22% of people start their Wat Rong Khun visit around 07 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Wat Rong Khun
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Wat Rong Khun