Munich is the capital of Bavaria, Germany’s most popular tourist destination. Once the hosts of the Olympic Games, Munich also welcomes hundreds of thousands of visitors to its famous beer festival, the Oktoberfest, every year. An affluent, sophisticated city with a wealth of museums, historic monuments, art collections and great shopping opportunities.
Munich is well connected to all of Germany’s major cities, by road, air and by an extensive rail network. Munich airport serves millions of passengers every year to fly to domestic and international destinations in Europe and the rest of the world. Bavarians are quite different from the rest of Germany’s inhabitants. Famous for their boisterous dancing in leather shorts and their drinking songs, Bavarians love to celebrate life and the art of brewing beer. The city is also home to some of the beautiful edifices from the past that have survived the ravages of World wars that twice shook the city. From Gothic to Neo classical, from contemporary to postmodern, this city will exhibit architecture in all its forms as well as movement.
Munich can be a bit of a tourist trap and very expensive. Avoid the expensive restaurants and cafes around Marienplatz and head for Irish pubs, catering for English speaking visitors, or for student hang-outs, which serve excellent value for money meals and a refreshing glass of lager for far less than the Hofbrauhaus or the Ratskeller. Each one of you should visit Munich at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Munich.
Essential travel information and Munich tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Munich Time Zone, UTC/GMT + 02:00hours. Daylight Saving Time (DST) changes do not necessarily occur on the same date every year.
- Currency: Currency used in Munich is Euro.
- Electricity: Voltage: 220-240 Volts. Primary Socket Type: Europlug, Schuko. Electrical sockets (outlets) in Germany (Deutschland) are one of the two European standard electrical socket types: The "Type C" Europlug and the "Type E" and "Type F" Schuko.
- Internet: 3G and 4G connections are available in almost all the hotels in the city.
- Languages: Language spoken in Munich is German.
- Security: Police 110, Fire Brigade 112, Emergency Medical Services 112.
- Tipping: Tipping is generally not expected in Munich.
- When in Rome do as the Romans do, and when in Munich get an authentic Bavarian outfit. We have put together a complete guide to help you better understand the elements of a traditional outfit and where the best places to shop are.
- Don't expect anyone outside of international hotels to speak English. Many people do, but a lot of restaurant staff, bierkeller staff and so on don't.
Munich Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Munich. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Munich trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Munich
Bavarian Beer and Food Evening Tour in Munich
3 Hrs 30 Mins1158 Reviews
Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site Tour from Munich by Train
5 Hrs3920 Reviews
Hitler and the Third Reich Munich Walking Tour
2 Hrs 30 Mins2884 Reviews