Visit Munnar - Best of Munnar
Munnar is South India's largest tea-growing region, the undulating hills are cloaked in emerald-green tea plantations. They are contoured, and carved like decorative hedges. Watch the clouds clinging to the mountaintops. The mist rises and spreads like a shroud around the mountains in Munnar. The administration of Munnar is like any other town in India. So venture out of town and you’ll be overwhelmed in depths of thousand shades of green. The name Munnar is believed to mean "three rivers". Its location is the confluence of the Madhurapuzha, Nallathanni and Kundaly rivers. Munnar town is situated on the Kannan Devan Hills village in Devikulam taluk. The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport and the major railway stations are at Ernakulum and Aluva. It was known as High Range of Travancore. Today it is the commercial centre for the world’s highest tea growing estates. The Kannan Devan Hills Plantation Company is the local cooperative which handles the tea estates. Come to Munnar if you are into paragliding, and trekking to Anaimudi, South India’s highest peak. Hikes originate at the confluence of the three streams.
Munnar attractions also play host to some endangered species that continue to survive and thrive in several protected areas nearby. They have built sanctuaries throughout Munnar to protect these species. These protected areas are especially known for several threatened and endemic species. These include Nilgiri Thar, the Grizzled Giant Squirrel, and the Nilgiri Wood-pigeon. Also protected are the Elephant, the Gaur, the Nilgiri langur, and the Sambar. The Neelakurinji that blossoms only once in twelve years is part of their national heritage.
Munnar Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Munnar tips for your visit
- The road to Munnar is narrow with lots of bends and curves.
- Hire a taxi or a driver with local experience if you are not familiar with the conditions.
- Note that most buses have boards in Malayalam and not English.
- At Aluva, there are no signs, schedules or dedicated bus bays for Munnar-bound buses.
- In the church and religious places, please take off your footwear in sign of respect.
- Most common mode of transport is the local bus, and cabs.
- Accommodation is varied and a seasoned tourist will find a place to stay to suit his budget.
- Interaction with locals wouldn’t be a problem as locals are well versed with English, Malayalam and Tamil.
- Oct-Dec is winter, and the place is extremely cold, woollens would have to be bought along during that time of the year
- Don’t forget to get a good digital camera because the place is fantastic visually.
- Do enlist the help of a tour guide.
Are you looking for a Munnar travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Munnar Tourist Information
Munnar Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Munnar
Save 8%Full day trekking at Letchmi Hills in MunnarNew on TripHobo
Duration: 6 Hrs
Lakshmi hills offers panoramic view of Western Ghats ranges. Both medium and hard treks available. Duration can be customized...
Save 7%Munnar Sightseeing TourNew on TripHobo
Duration: 8 Hrs
Visit to Tea Plantations,Dams,Lakes Etc..
Save 7%Walk the plantation - earn the teaNew on TripHobo
Duration: 3 Hrs
Walk the trails of the tea pickers and explore the fine impressions of the local variants of tea. Explore the beautiful tea p...
Save 20%Kerala Tour - 4 days and 3 Nights
Duration: 4 Days
Discover the surreal beauty of Kerala with this tour that introduces you to its vignettes. From the hills of Munnar to the ba...
Popular Hotels in MunnarView all Hotels in Munnar
More about Munnar
Hidden and Secluded Beaches in KeralaWhile on a vacation to Kerala make sure you explore these secluded and secret beaches in Kerala.
Top 10 Hill Destinations for Your Next Holiday - Part 3 of 5Explore more famous hill stations in India. This is a part of series our series of Best hill stations in India. Panchgani, Coorg, Lonavala, Shillong, Cherrapunj
Bangalore to Munnar Road Trip - A Complete GuideAn Epic Road Trip from Bangalore to Munnar. Find the best route, places to visit on your way to Munnar and what to do after you reach the hill station.