Csi Christ Church2234 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Munnar Kerala, India
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Turn back time during 1894 when Mrs. Eleanor Knight, the wife of H.M. Knight was buried here. In her honour and in memory of British era tea planters the CSI Christ Church was made. The Christ Church is steeped in history and had served an integral role in the colonial British era. Built of basic stone with un-plastered walls, it was constructed by the British in 1910. The stained glass windows portraying the saints and Biblical characters lends exclusive charm. It has a number of brass plaques bearing names of various donors, contributors, and pastors. They have left their mark in this place, over more than a century and a half. Later Knight who was the general manager of the tea plantation, declared this area sacred. The foundation stone of the church was laid in 1910 by Sir A.K.Muir.
The British handed the church to CSI North Kerala Diocese when they left the plantation in 1981. Till then both the Indians and British worshipped in the same church at different times. Today it has grown to become a pilgrimage centre to thousands of devotees. It is now a place where people come together and listen to the word of God. Run by the Church Mission Society, this quiet church is a place to pray and to meditate.
The benches made with rosewood, and the chandeliers have elaborate decorations. It transports you to the old world. Those who love art & architecture and history must visit this place. The church gives you a cosy, homely, and inviting feeling. It is not crowded in general and you are left at peace to pray. The church's ground also commands a magnificent view of the city. It is so quiet inside and you will not that there is busy street life all around. CSI Christ Church is an iconic edifice in Munnar that boasts of elegant architecture and interiors. Make this church an integral part of your Kerala tours. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Munnar Itinerary 3 Days.
Csi Christ Church Travel Tips
- The massive glass windows and the serene surroundings are worth capturing on camera.
- The Altar is well maintained as is the old cemetery.
- There is a shop next door with Christian memorabilia.
- It reveals its colonial history in the days of the High Range.
- This church is hidden away and is not properly signposted.
- While the church is visible from the main road you have to take a small side road to reach it.
- It is open on Sundays, and on other days at 4:00 pm. But timings vary so check before you go.
- The church has a bell which rings on every hour.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Munnar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Munnar and book an accommodation of your choice.
15.78% of people who visit Munnar include Csi Christ Church in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
49.11% of people start their Csi Christ Church visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Csi Christ Church
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Csi Christ Church