Events and Festivals in Munnar
- Attukal Pongala: This all-female festival has the town’s womenfolk congregate. They bake a pudding to be offered to the goddess of the temple, Attukal. The chief priest later comes to bless the temple by sprinkling holy water.
- Thrissur Pooram Festival: This festivals is the best in Munnar. The local mahouts and their majestic elephants, take to the streets carrying object symbolic of revered royalty. The animals line up in disciplined dignity and stand in all their glory. The strong beats of the ancient Panchavadyam are played on conch, cymbals, trumpet and drum.
- Nehru Trophy Boat Race: This extravagant affair takes place on the second Saturday of August each year in Kerala on the Punnamada Lake. They have spectator pavilions set up along the banks. The opening ceremony is a colourful spectacle of decorated floats, boats and traditional performances. Separate races are held for women and the festivities last throughout the day and late into the evening.
- Onam: This harvest festival is celebrated in honour of King Mahabali. The 10-day celebration beginning at the end of August and lasting into early September is one of the liveliest events of the year. Religious ceremonies, feasting, dancing, music performances and singing are all essential parts of the celebration. The snake-boat races that take place along the river are among the most exciting of the festival’s events.
- Navarathri Festival: This 9-day celebration is held in honour of the beloved goddess of music and knowledge, mother Saraswati. Each evening a musical recital of the best local classical performers takes place at the Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Deepavali: It is a spectacular events on the calendar where local homes are lit by candle. Fireworks display, and booming firecrackers bring the area to life in a blaze of colourful light.
- Christmas: Although not a religious festival in India, Christmas is celebrated in the area. Firework displays and enchanting music bring the area to life. It is the perfect atmosphere for Christmas away from home.
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Munnar
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Munnar
Save 5%Private Custom Tour: Munnar local Sightseeing with guideNew on TripHobo
Duration: 6 HrsBook Now
Save 7%Half day trekking at Letchmi Hills in MunnarNew on TripHobo
Duration: 3 HrsBook Now
Save 5%Wildlife With Misty Hills Of KeralaNew on TripHobo
Duration: 5 DaysBook Now
Save 5%Munnar Short TripNew on TripHobo
Duration: 3 DaysBook Now