Mattupetty DamCurrently Closed
- Address: Munnar, Idukki District, Kerala 685612, India
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-4865231516
- Ticket Price: 10 INR
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Water Body, Waterfront, Family And Kids, Dam
About Mattupetty Dam, Munnar
Be whisked away to a sanctuary, a sprawling green space abundant with swelling forests. The Mattupetty Dam is rimmed by a beautiful lake and sprayed with rolling grasslands and lush tea estates. Mattupetty offers many captivating sights to enjoy and is ideal for trekking. It is home to a variety of birds and rivulets and cascades crisscross the terrain here. Embark on nature walks to rewarding viewpoints.
It is a storage Concrete Gravity dam built in the mountains conserves water for hydroelectricity in Kerala. It has been a vital source of power, yielding along with other such dams, huge revenue to the states. The large amount of perennially available water allows wild animals and birds to flourish. However salinity caused by irrigation and water-logging are of concern to environmentalists.
The most attractive part of Mattupetty dam is its still water which reflects the tea garden around. Engage yourself with water sport activities like speed boating organized by district Tourism Promotion Council of Idukki. Adventure lovers also have options here like trekking in the Shola forest. Speed launch, slow speedboat and motorboats are available on hire. The 160-foot-high Mattupetty Dam has a vast reservoir extending several kilometres into the hills. A cruise here is an exhilarating experience, offering occasional sightings of elephant, gaur and sambar. The dam has been an important source of power for the nearby areas.
The serene ambience of the lake will take you to a world of peace. You have endless options – either you can go for boating in the lake or you can sit on the shore enjoying the tranquillity here. Take out your picnic basket and set out a feast for yourself and the entire family. At the edge of the lake, catch elephants drinking water and bathing in the reservoir. They graze in the fields nearby. Do not be alarmed by the monkeys, they are very tourist friendly. The best time to visit Mattupetty is from the month of August to May and it is very easily accessible from Munnar town.
Mattupetty Dam - Kerala tourist attraction added in the Kerala Itinerary 10 Days. Must visit this amazing attraction.
Mattupetty Dam Information
- Travelling in the mountains you must have an experienced driver as the roads are in poor condition.
- They are very narrow and steep in places.
- There is a small market close by that offers variety of cosmetics, spices and souvenirs.
Mattupetty Dam Ticket Prices
- INR 500 for 5 people in speed boat for 15 minutes.
How To reach Mattupetty Dam by Public Transport
- Rented car/taxi
Restaurants Near Mattupetty Dam
- T&U Leisure Hotel Restaurant: Indian
- Sree Mahaveer Bhojanalaya Restaurant: Indian
- Saravana Bhavan: Indian
- Bellmount Restaurant: Indian
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Munnar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Munnar and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Mattupetty Dam
95% of people who visit Munnar include Mattupetty Dam in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
59.13% of people start their Mattupetty Dam visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Mattupetty Dam
93.82% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Mattupetty Dam
Mattupetty Dam Map
Mattupetty Dam Trips
Mattupetty Dam, Munnar Reviews
All QuestionsMattupetty dam
- Centro Socio Pastorale
- A.Re.Fa. SRL
- Baie Del Salento
- Diocesi Di Ugento - S.M. Di Leuca
- Santuario Santa Marina Vergine
- Mare Vostrum, Isola Di Albarella
- Campeggio Vittoria
- La Margherita
- Gest.Vill.Turistici Rosapineta SAS Di P. Brazzalotto & C
- Malibù Di Porzionato Giuseppe & C. SNC
- Parrocchia S. Antonio
- Gest.Vill.Turistici Rosapineta SAS Cartolibreria
- Villaggio Turistico Rosapineta