Top StationCurrently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
- Address: Theni District, TN 35 km from Munnar, India
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-9442783853
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: View Point, Family And Kids, Valley, Nature
Top Station - Review
You are at the top of the world at Top station. Feel profound silence while you get tuned to nature. Investigate this wonderful place on the edge of Kerala’s prime tea growing region. Walk to Observation point from Anita’s tea stall at the bus stop and explore untouched beauty. Top Station is the uppermost railway station located in the Kundala Valley. Stretch out your hand and feel the cloud, it is so close and eerie. The air is crisp and the views sheer and dramatic. The craggy laterite peaks of the Western Ghats, the rolling plains and immaculately laid-out tea plantation surround Top Station.
Top Station is located on the border of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. It has a short steep walk to the spectacular viewing area at the top. Top Station was a transhipment point for delivery of tea from Munnar to Bodinayakkanur. Built in 1902 it was also the location of the terminal railway station on the Kundala Valley Railway. A monorail goods carriage system was initially installed along this cart route. In 1908 the monorail was replaced by a 24 inch gauge railway. Tea chests arriving from the valley were transported by ropeway from Top Station to the south of Tamil Nadu. It was then carted to Bodinayakkanur, and then taken by rail to other destinations in India. Finally the tea was shipped off to England.
Top station offers a panoramic view of the majestic Western Ghats and the valley of Theni district. During winter you should carry woollens and wear that during the day as well. The peak season is April and May and it’s almost empty during the monsoons. However tourists do arrive to watch the heavy downpour and be on the wild slopes and dense forests. The place is still remote and does not have many facilities. There are a few tea and coffee shops and vendors selling fruits and jelly. You can find vendors selling fresh locally grown spices from cardamom, vanilla, and cinnamon to nutmeg.
Top station is one of the attractions in Kerala Itinerary 10 Days
Top Station Information
- Pack a lunch in Munnar or take your chances at a tea stalls.
- The route is foggy in winters and visibility is very poor.
- Local teas are served in several variations.
- Many tea factories have outlets where you can enjoy tea.
- Do not consume local alcohol; it is illegal and not safe.
- Since the area is a reserve forest, there are no hotels.
- You should go back to Munnar before night as there is a chance of wild elephants on the track.
Restaurants Near Top Station
- Saravana Restaurant: South Indian
- Hotel Sri Nivas: Indian
- Bethel Varkis B&B: Indian
- Rapsy Restaurant: Indian, International
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Munnar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Munnar and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Top Station
94.73% of people who visit Munnar include Top Station in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
39.17% of people start their Top Station visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Top Station
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Top Station