How to Reach Muscat - The Easiest Way to Reach Muscat
HOW TO GET TO MUSCAT
- By Air: The city is served by the Muscat International Airport, located approximately 40 kilometers out of the city. It has direct flights to and from most of the major capitals of the world and can also be easily reached from Dubai and all the other GCC nations.
- The national carrier “Oman Air” has several international flights that connect Muscat to Paris, New York, London, Chicago, Amsterdam, Berlin etc.
- There are also several other international carriers that connect Muscat to the rest of the world, major ones being: Emirates, Ethihad, Swiss Air, Malaysian Airlines and Gulf Air.
- By Bus: Muscat can also be reached by bus services from Dubai and Yemen. The journey from Dubai to Yemen takes approximately 6 hours through the border at Al Ain or Al Hatta.
- The journey from Yemen takes approximately 6 hours to Salallah and then another 10 hours to reach the capital city.
- By Sea: Several cruise liners call into port at The Sultan Qaboos Port in the Muscat region as well as the newly developed Port Sohar, approximately 80 kilometers out of the city.
HOW TO GET AROUND MUSCAT
The city is fairly easy to navigate, with well-appointed road signs and clear demarcations of every place of interest in both Arabic and English.
- By Taxi: There are two kinds of taxis available in Muscat. The sedan “Maxi Taxi’s” can be found on all major roadways and outside the airport, hotels and other tourist attractions. They have no meter, so it is advisable to check with the driver for the fare before embarking on a journey. They also go outside the city limits to Sur, Sohar, Nizwa and as far as Dubai for the right price.
- The taxi vans or “Baiza Buses” as they are locally known (Named for the lower denomination of the Omani Riyal) can be found running regular routes on all the major roadways, picking up and dripping passengers opportunistically. They are a cheap and reliable way to travel around the city if you know where you are going.
- By Bus: The city buses are marked with the national colors of red and green and connect all the major parts of the city with each other. There are also bus services to the far flung regions outside the city which are luxurious and comfortable. The bus stops are clearly indicated with a leaping gazelle sign and a shaded waiting area. The bus timings and destinations are printed at every bus stop in the city
- By Rent-a-car: There are several agencies which rent vehicles to tourists who have a valid driving license in their own country, with a few exceptions. It is advised that you check on the governorate website to see if your country is on the approved list. Cars are all left-hand drive and the ideal way to get around with a good map or navigation system, allowing you freedom of movement and schedule. This is the best way to get around although you should make sure you are properly introduced to the driving protocol of the country.
Are you looking for a Muscat travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Muscat
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Muscat. The most preferred mode of transport in Muscat is Car.
Average distance: 19.3 km Average time: 20.63 min
Car 85.29%Driving 18.66 min Walking 0.21 min Overall average time for 19.79 kms 18.86 min
Walking 2.94%Walking 60 min Driving 12 min Overall average time for 5 kms 72 min
How to Reach Muscat from Nearby Cities
|Ruwi to Muscat||5.49 km||5 mins|
|Darsait to Muscat||6.55 km||6 mins|
|Nizwa to Muscat||117.65 km||1 hour 57 mins|
|Sohar to Muscat||213.93 km||3 hours 33 mins|
|Sharjah to Muscat||357.7 km||5 hours 57 mins|
|Dubai to Muscat||381.49 km||6 hours 21 mins|
|Abu dhabi to Muscat||472.5 km||7 hours 52 mins|