Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, MuscatCurrently Open
- Address: Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Bawshar Wilayat, Muscat, Oman
- Timings: 08:30 am - 11:30 am Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mosque, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids
About Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Muscat
If you had a window seat on your flight into the city you would have noticed this architectural wonder even from the sky. The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque is the third largest mosque in the world and a shining beacon that lights up the Muscat city skyline. Its golden-lit dome is 50 meters off the floor and is a spectacular sight in the clear desert nights. The mosque took over 6 years to be constructed, and features the world’s 2nd largest hand-woven Persian carpet, a 14 meter gold-plated Swarovski chandelier and five beautifully proportionate minarets that rise like graceful fingers into the night sky.
Inscribed with Islamic art and the many names of Allah in various scripts, the inner walls of the mosque are a marvel in themselves. The entire grounds are open to the public during visiting hours (check Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque timings) , including the library and the frangipani-filled and beautifully manicured gardens. The tranquil desert air and quiet vibes of this place of worship make it a beautiful place to visit.
One of the prime religious attractions of Muscat, Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque holds much importance. Since it’s a religious site, there are no tickets for Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque. However, if you wish to be enlightened on its significance, you can book tickets for Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque tours with us and get the best deals. Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque ticket prices come along in all ranges. Thus, it is best for you to get your Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque tickets as soon as possible.
Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque Information
- The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque is closed to Non-Muslims on Fridays.
- Modest clothing, as befits a place of worship is a must - T-shirts are acceptable for men but no sleeveless T’s or shorts. Women are required to be covered from ankle to wrist and also have to cover their hair (Pashmina shawls are available at the mosque for this purpose).
- A guided tour of the mosque will give you a lot of insight into its construction and history.
- The mosque is located in the Bawshar Wilayat, which you may notice on road signs as spelt “Boushar” “Baushar” “Bowshar” etc. Go with phonetics.
Restaurants Near Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque
- There are no eateries in the immediate surrounding area of the mosque.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Muscat before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Muscat and book an accommodation of your choice.
Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque Sightseeing Tours
Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Muscat Reviews
Amazing place to visit if you are in the area or city. Very short drive from anywhere you are staying within muscat. I found parking difficult though but joined people by parking on the road. Maybe there is parking but I was not able to find it. The mosque itself is very grand, and huge in scale and can accommodate a large quantity of people. I went to Friday prayers and it could hold a lot of people. The gardens outside are beautiful too.
Its beautiful, but its missing very important points for any guest. 1- The ladies toilets are underground, we have to take the stairs, which is not comfortable to the elderly or the disabled. 2- In the toilets there are no tissue papers and the electric dryer isn't working. 3- There isn't a single mirror on the rest room walls, I mean we ladies need to fix up our scarves after washing up.. You know mirrors are extremely important. Oh how we care so much about showing off this place to foreigners, yet its sad that we don't care about the comfort of using this place for what it's actually made for 😅
The Sultan Qaboos grand mosque is a truly breathtaking and awe inspiring edifice!! It is beautiful in layout, with sprawling gardens and marble flooring. The intricate work in w wooden doors, door frames and ceilings are superb. And the feeling you get when u enter the main mosque can't be expressed in words. It's largesse, it's grandeur and its chandeliers are simply wonderful! You must not miss this place if u visit Muscat!
The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque is what I believe one of the most beautiful and breathtaking places I've ever been to. It's a spectacle to the eye and so clean and well maintained. Everything about it just so amazing. The main dome is just beautiful. I'll add a few pictures to show this amazing place :)
A must visit place if you are in Oman. It is absolutely breathtaking. A very serene place and well maintained. One can spend hours here without getting bored.
All Questionssultan qaboos grand mosque
- Attractions near Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque
- Fish Market
- Bait Al-baranda
- Ghalya's Museum Of Modern Art
- Pdo Planetarium
- Oman Oil And Gas Exhibition Centre
- Children's Museum
- Omani Aquarium And Marine Science And Fisheries Centre
- Oman Avenues Mall
- Amouage Perfumery
- Oman Natural History Museum
- Omani - French Museum
- Al Mouj Muscat Beach Park