Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque1895 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Bawshar Wilayat, Muscat, Oman
- Timings: 08:30 am - 11:30 am Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mosque, Religious Site, Historical Site
If you had a window seat on your flight into the city you would have noticed this architectural wonder even from the sky. The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque is the third largest mosque in the world and a shining beacon that lights up the Muscat city skyline. Its golden-lit dome is 50 meters off the floor and is a spectacular sight in the clear desert nights. The mosque took over 6 years to be constructed, and features the world’s 2nd largest hand-woven Persian carpet, a 14 meter gold-plated Swarovski chandelier and five beautifully proportionate minarets that rise like graceful fingers into the night sky.
Inscribed with Islamic art and the many names of Allah in various scripts, the inner walls of the mosque are a marvel in themselves. The entire grounds are open to the public during visiting hours (check Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque timings) , including the library and the frangipani-filled and beautifully manicured gardens. The tranquil desert air and quiet vibes of this place of worship make it a beautiful place to visit.
One of the prime religious attractions of Muscat, Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque holds much importance. Since it’s a religious site, there are no tickets for Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque. However, if you wish to be enlightened on its significance, you can book tickets for Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque tours with us and get the best deals. Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque ticket prices come along in all ranges. Thus, it is best for you to get your Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque tickets as soon as possible.
Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque Travel Tips
- The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque is closed to Non-Muslims on Fridays.
- Modest clothing, as befits a place of worship is a must - T-shirts are acceptable for men but no sleeveless T’s or shorts. Women are required to be covered from ankle to wrist and also have to cover their hair (Pashmina shawls are available at the mosque for this purpose).
- A guided tour of the mosque will give you a lot of insight into its construction and history.
- The mosque is located in the Bawshar Wilayat, which you may notice on road signs as spelt “Boushar” “Baushar” “Bowshar” etc. Go with phonetics.
- There are no eateries in the immediate surrounding area of the mosque.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Muscat before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Muscat and book an accommodation of your choice.
88.1% of people who visit Muscat include Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
94.38% of people start their Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque