The Sultans Armed Forces Museum, Muscat
The Sultans Armed Forces Museum - A Quick Overview[Contribute/Review]
Address: Sultans Armed Forces Museum, Bait-Al-Falaj, Al-Mujamma Street, Darsait, P.O Box 113, P.C 113, Muscat, Oman
Ticket Price: 500 BZD
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:00 am - 01:30 pm Details
Added 5.2K times in trip plans
Military Museum, Family And Kids
Turn a simple trip into an exciting vacation by using this trip itinerary planner tool
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About The Sultans Armed Forces Museum, Muscat
Located in the Bait Al Falaj fort (Built 1845) this historic site was constructed by Said Bin Sultan, the ancestor of the current monarch of the country. Kept in pristine white condition, the fort now contains snippets of Oman’s military history including a collection of armaments, canons, uniforms etc. That reflect this small nations glorious past.
The fort actually served as military headquarters from 1918 to 1978. In 1978 it was converted to a museum on the orders of H.M Sultan Qaboos Bin Said, and the museum was opened in 1988.
It has separate galleries dedicated to the Portuguese in Oman, Oman’s relationship with Islam, The Al-Busaidi dynasty (which includes the current monarch), as well as dedicated galleries to the various branches of the armed forces including the Royal Air force of Oman, Royal Navy of Oman, Royal Army of Oman etc. There is also a separate gallery dedicated to the reign of the current monarch, His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said.
The museum library contains a collection of books on military and historical sciences, and can be accessed by the public between 7:30 a.m. and 2.30 p.m.
The Sultans Armed Forces Museum Information
- The Al-Falaj area is well known for the Al-Falaj Hotel which is located on the same street as the Museum.
- The Museum also sells souvenirs such as key chains, pens, caps, t-shirts etc.
The Sultans Armed Forces Museum Ticket Prices
- The Sultans Armed Forces Museum entry fee for kids upto 6 years of age: 200 Belize Dollar
- The Sultans Armed Forces Museum entry fee for kids below 6 years of age: 100 Belize Dollar
How To reach The Sultans Armed Forces Museum by Public Transport
- ONTC bus: If you are coming from the commercial districts of CBD or Ruwi, you can get here by the intracity bus network. Simply ask for Al-Falaj.
- Taxi: An “engaged” taxi ( a taxi that goes only to the passenger’s destination at a mutually agreed upon rate) can be hailed from anywhere. Simply saying “Al Falaj” will suffice to.
- Rent-a-car: Having your own vehicle is the easiest way to get around Muscat (Check if your driving license from your country is legal).
Restaurants Near The Sultans Armed Forces Museum
- Aryan Indian Restaurant (In Al-Falaj Hotel)
- Golden Oryx
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Muscat before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Muscat and book an accommodation of your choice.
The Sultans Armed Forces Museum, Muscat Reviews
Very well maintained... and awesomely preserved. Worth watching .
This is a nice little museum that shows Oman's history on the ground floor and Oman's military on the 2nd floor. We enjoyed the military displays the most. The guide that took us around spoke excellent English and was well-informed.
This place is very historical place... Very interesting... 😊😁😀
Well maintained & curated, a must see for Tourists as well as locals!
Very beautiful Museum good staff helping you a lot the guide you very nicely did give you enough information all the best wishes