Visit Nagaoka - Best of Nagaoka
This city of about 280,000 is the second largest in the Niigata prefecture. It lies on the shore of the Sea of Japan. It is known to have been a place of human settlement for at least 10000 years, since the Jomon people.
Historically, the city's most prosperous time was under the Edo period, during which time it was ruled by successive generations of the Makini Clan of samurai. The clan was overthrown in the 1868 Boshin War during the Meiji Restoration after local hero and folk legend military general Tsuginosuke Kawai led a last assault against the government forces. The city was reduced to rubble. At this time, a famous historical event happened in which the city was given 100 sacks of rice to get rebuilding.
During WWII, the city was one of those intended for nuclear bombing, but the country surrendered before that could happen. Nevertheless, Nagaoka was heavily firebombed and much of the city was again destroyed. Today, the city's economy thrives on its robust manufacturing sector.
Nagaoka Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Nagaoka tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Japan Time Zone UTC+09:00
- Currency: Yen
- Electricity and Internet:100 Volts, Plug types A and B & Ungrounded two pins/ grounded three pins.
- Languages: Japanese; some basic English.
- Security: Police: 110; Ambulance/Fire: 119
- Off-Beaten Path: Yamakoshi Alpaca Farm & Yukiguni Garden Park.
- Do not tip waiters or taxi driver or any service staff.
- Tipping tour guides is alright, but present the money in an envelope. It’s rude to hand it right out of your wallet or hand.
- Bow when greeting.
- Learn Japanese honorifics. Add a suffix ‘-san’ to most people’s names.
- slurp soupy, wet foods.
- The small wet cloth before meals is for your hands ONLY.
- Remove shoes before entering dwellings; remove slippers before getting onto tatami; and don’t wear bathroom slippers anywhere outside the bathroom.
- Don’t be too outspoken or gregarious. It’s rude.
Travel to Nagaoka- Know before you go to Nagaoka
Attractions in Nagaoka
Nagaoka Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Nagaoka