Nagoya Castle985 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1-1 Honmaru, Naka Ward, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture 460-0031, Japan Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: +81-522311700
- Ticket Price: 500 JPY
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Park, Castle, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Built in 1612 by Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu as the stronghold of the Owari branch of the Tokugawa Dynasty, this was one of the largest castles in the country. The castle's prestige was such that the town around it eventually became Japan's 4th largest city. Unfortunately, the original castle did not survive Allied bombing in WWII. The 48 metre building you see today was reconstructed from ancient plans of the castle. Indeed, the reconstruction, which started in 2009, is still going on, and will only be complete by 2018. This provides an excellent and unusual tourist and academic opportunity to see 17th century construction methods live. Inside, you can now find a museum on the castle's history and significance.
Three of the original corner turrets survived the bombing and are thus significant. Also important to check out are Kinshachi, or the golden dolphins, the original of which used to rise above the main ridge of the castle roof.
Moats surround the castle grounds, which is a park. There is a tradition in Japan called the Hanami, or cherry blossom viewing. The castle's park is one of the more popular blossom hotspots in late March or early April.
The Nagoya Castle Summer Festival is held in August - period firearms, beautiful lanterns, beer and a night market.
Nagoya Castle Travel Tips
- Paid parking is available.
- Volunteer guides are available on weekends and national holidays at 1pm.
- Private guided tours can be reserved 7 days in advance.
Entrance Ticket Details For Nagoya Castle
- Free for high school students and younger.
- Hundred yen for a Nagoya senior citizen.
Nagoya Castle Hours
- Construction work cannot be observed on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It is also closed during lunch time - 12pm-1pm.
- Castle tower can only be entered before 4pm.
How to Reach Nagoya Castle
- Train: Meitetsu Seto Line stop Higashi-ote
- Bus: Sakae No 3 stop Nagoyajo Seimon-Mae
- Key Route Bus No. 2 stop Shiyakusho
- Metro: “Shiyakusho (City Hall)” or M07 stop of the Meijo Line.
- Metro: “Sengencho” or T05 stop of the Tsurumai Line.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Nagoya before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Nagoya and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Nagoya Castle Address: 1-1 Honmaru, Naka Ward, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture 460-0031, Japan
- Nagoya Castle Contact Number: +81-522311700
- Nagoya Castle Timing: 09:00 am - 04:30 pm
- Nagoya Castle Price: 500 JPY
- Best time to visit Nagoya Castle(preferred time): 09:00 am - 03:00 pm
- Time required to visit Nagoya Castle: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
68.74% of people who visit Nagoya include Nagoya Castle in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
78.26% of people start their Nagoya Castle visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Nagoya Castle
92.4% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Nagoya Castle
People normally club together Osu Shopping Street and Meijo Park while planning their visit to Nagoya Castle.
People also prefer to start their day with Nagoya Castle.