Shurijo Castle23 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 〒903-0815 1-2 Kinjo-cho, Shuri, Naha City, Okinawa, Japan Map
- Timings: 08:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-988862020
- Ticket Price: 820 JPY
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Castle, Historical Site, Family And Kids
The Shurijo Castle was the administrative and foreign trade centre of the Ryukyu kingdom. It also backed the cultural, economic and political endeavours of the kingdom. The castle dates back to the early 14th century but was damaged severely multiple times- the earliest damages dating back to the Battle of Okinawa. Over time, the place served the Chuzan, the Ryuku Dytansty, the Empire of Japan, the US military and the US civil administration. For many, the construction of the castle is a shadow of the ‘forbidden city’ with gorgeous Japanese styled buildings with distinct red lacquer work, unique tile work and the Seiden area which was rebuilt using wood brought in from Taiwan. The entire castle is built by using Ryuku limestone
What you see currently are the restorations made in 1992. However, in spite of its reconstruction, you can still walk around to see the beautiful Una Plaza, the nearby Sonohyan-utaki Stone Gate where the King prayed before leaving the castle and the Tamaudun which was used a resting place for the royal family.
Highlights of the castle includes:
- The Seiden which is the main place of the castle and is where the King’s throne is kept
- “Bandokoro” that dates back to the 17th century and was the original reception area and currently houses a museum
- “Hokuden” which is the north hall and was used for administrative and judicial uses and is currently a museum and gift shop
- The Syureimon Gate that has become an iconic feature and can also be seen printed on Japan’s currency
- “Shoin” study and office of the king where officials were entertained
- “Tomoyo” that currently houses a replica of the Bridge of the Nations ball.
- “Yuinchi” or royal kitchen
- “Enkaku-ji” – A Buddhist temple for the royal family
- Ryutan Site that includes a beautiful pond where you can feed fishes and visit an ancient shrine built on a platform on the pond. Take a walk around to see the nearby underground tunnels built during the war as well.
- “Suimi-utaki” which is a worship place that finds its mention in the oldest collection of Rykyu music
The massive castle grounds have a number of lookout points from where you can admire the panoramic views of Okinawa but for many, simply being so close to one of the most historic kingdoms like it was flourishing today, is an experience that simply cannot be missed.
Shurijo Castle Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and wear comfortable shoes.
Entrance Ticket Details For Shurijo Castle
General Admission Fee:
- Adult: JPY 820
- High school student: JPY 660
- Elementary and High school student: JPY 310
- Age 5 and under: Free
The Seiden, Nanden, Bandokoro, Shoin Sasunoma, Kugani-udun, Yuinchi, Kinju-tsumesho, Okushoin, Hokuden, Houshinmon are located in the paid admission zone. Admission is free for the other parts of the Park.
Suimuikan Parking Fees:
- Bus: JPY 960 (Book of 11 tickets:JPY 9,600)
- Small Vehicle: JPY 320 (Book of 11 tickets:JPY 3,200)
- Parking reservations are available only for school trip groups.(Buses only)
Shurijo Castle Hours
- April to June: Last entry at 6.30 pm.
- July to September: Last entry at 7:30 pm
- October to November: Last entry at 6:30 pm
- December to March: Last entry at 5:30 pm
- Closed: on the first Wednesday and Thursday of July, every year
How to Reach Shurijo Castle
- By Bus
- By renting a Car/Bike
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Okinawa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Okinawa and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Shurijo Castle Address: 〒903-0815 1-2 Kinjo-cho, Shuri, Naha City, Okinawa, Japan
- Shurijo Castle Contact Number: +91-988862020
- Shurijo Castle Timing: 08:30 am - 07:00 pm
- Shurijo Castle Price: 820 JPY
- Best time to visit Shurijo Castle(preferred time): 09:00 am - 05:30 pm
- Time required to visit Shurijo Castle: 01:30 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
1.79% of people who visit Okinawa include Shurijo Castle in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
33.33% of people start their Shurijo Castle visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Shurijo Castle
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Shurijo Castle
People normally club together Sakaemachi Arcade and Omoromachi Station while planning their visit to Shurijo Castle.