Situated at the foot of Mt. Zhongshan, it is one of the most famous and protected lakes in Nanjing. The lake gained the name ‘Xuanwu’ because a black dragon was said to live in the lake.
The entry to the lake is the historic Xuanwu Gate, part of the Nanjing City wall. Once inside, you will see that the lake is divided into five inter-connected islands. Highlights include:
- Paddle boating
- Fireworks (during the Chinese New Year)
- Lake God Temple, Wenji Pavilion, Peony Garden and Bonsai Museum
- An extensive bird sanctuary.
- An entertainment band stand.
- A playground for children.
The park delightfully showcases a distinctive colour every season. It is truly a breather from city life.
Entrance Ticket Details For Xuanwu Lake
- Costs 20 RMB to walk along the City Wall and to enter the Inner Isles.
- Round the lake sightseeing bus is RMB 30, per person.
- Rent a boat for 60-80 RMB.
How to Reach Xuanwu Lake
- Buses 1, 25, 28, 30, 33, 35, 801, 802 or Tourism Bus 1 toXuanwumen station.
- Subway Line 1 to Xuanwumen station.
- Hunan Lu (renowned food street)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Nanjing before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Nanjing and book an accommodation of your choice.
53.88% of people who visit Nanjing include Xuanwu Lake in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
38.82% of people start their Xuanwu Lake visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Xuanwu Lake
90.24% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Xuanwu Lake
Xuanwu Lake Reviews & Ratings
Beautiful but somewhat polluted lake (dead fish). Some people jog all around it though it can be a bit challenging. Lots of singing and dancing ayi's on the weekends. Very pleasant place overall
Loved this place . At morning and evening this place is like heaven on earth so peacefull
A must-see place in Nanjing! Be ready for lots of walking and great activities for Children as well. Would be good to wear good joggers and start your visit early and see the sunset.
6 star attraction. Fantastic. A must go if in Nanjing. Go there for your morning or evening walk or run
This park has alot of activities like boat ride, folks dancing, picnic and some sight seeing. Nothing really fantastic, visit only if u have time.