Are you looking for what to do in Nantes?
PLACES TO SEE
- Les Machines de I’lle de Nantes (The Machines de I’lle): If you are looking for innovative tourist sites in Nantes, you cannot give a miss to Les Machines de I’lle de Nantes. It is the quirkiest sight, taking you to a journey to a future world. All thanks goes to the makers, Francois Delaroziere (La Machine) and Pierre Orefice (Manas association), who had such an innovative idea to re-create a warehouse of a former shipyard into a magnificent artistic park.
- Chateau des Ducs de Bretagne: Musee d Histoire de Nantes – Located in the historical center of Nantes, this castle is considered as the important building of the city. It is a fortress of 500 meter tall with curtain walls, divided by seven towers linked by a sentry walk. In the interior, a huge courtyard with a 15th century ducal residence, build in gothic architectural style welcomes you. At present, the castle houses the Urban History Museum of Nantes.
- Jardin des plantes de Nantes: It is the earliest municipal botanical garden, built in the middle of 18th century. Taking a tour within the garden will let you meet with 11,000 species planted within a web of ponds, paths and waterways, decorated with artificial mountains, statues and fountains.
- Cathedral Saint-Peter-and-Saint-Paul (Cathedral St-Pierre et St-Paul): It is a Gothic Roman cathedral, and considered as one of the last French Gothic Cathedral that exists till date. So, it is one of the important tourist attractions of Nantes which you cannot give a miss. According to the history, it took around 457 years to complete the construction of this cathedral.
- La Maille-Breze: It is the first naval museum since 1988, afloat in France.It was previously a merchant ship which has now been turned into a museum. On board, you can see all the ship’s equipments, weapons and motors.
THINGS TO DO
- In your itinerary list, include Le Passage Pommeraye. It is the oldest shopping arcade in Nantes.
Below we have a list of things to do in Nantes and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Nantes getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Nantes with confidence.