Cape Kidnappers Gannet Reserve, NapierCurrently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
- Address: 396 Clifton Rd, Te Awanga 4172, New Zealand, Napier
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: 64-68750888
- Tags: Beach, Waterfront, Wildlife Park, Safari, Walking Area, Nature
About Cape Kidnappers Gannet Reserve, Napier
It wasn’t enough that this headland at the end of a peninsula is a beautiful ocean paradise, but it’s also the world’s largest mainland gannet colony. Though you can certainly take a car or another vehicle up to the reserve, it’s an entirely different experience to walk the coast. The best time to catch the birds is during the nesting season, (mid-September to mid-December), and the chicks all start to grow up around January, bringing almost 30000 birds to one spot. Some tour companies, such as Gannet Safaris Overland will take you through some spectacular views on your way to the warbling wonders. Also, the Gannet Beach Adventures will take you along a very unique tractor ride along the stunning Cape Kidnapper coastline.
Cape Kidnappers Gannet Reserve Information
- Prepare for some cool or even chilly winds.
- Take sunscreen.
- Pack a picnic.
- Walking can only be done at low tide. Check the tide timings carefully.
- Reserve is closed between July and Oct
- Camping is not permitted.
- Do not litter.
- The cliffs are pretty unstable at the edges.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Napier before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Napier and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Cape Kidnappers Gannet Reserve
95% of people who visit Napier include Cape Kidnappers Gannet Reserve in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
51.32% of people start their Cape Kidnappers Gannet Reserve visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Cape Kidnappers Gannet Reserve
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cape Kidnappers Gannet Reserve