Galleria BorbonicaCurrently Closed
- Address: Vico del Grottone, 4, 80132 Napoli, Italy, 80132, Naples
- Timings: 10:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0817645808
- Ticket Price: 10 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Family And Kids, Tunnel, Social, Arts, Museums
This is probably the city’s most intriguing historical structure. In the 19th century, Ferdinand II of Bourbon, fearing his revolution-prone population, had these tunnels built, linking the the Royal Palace of Naples to the barracks at Via Morelli, and to the sea. The tunnels made used of the already existing 17th-century Carmignano Aqueduct system, which had 16th century cisterns. Which basically means that these tunnels deliver 500 years worth of history in one swoop! After WWII, when it was used as a barracks and military hospital, the tunnel became the dumping grounds for civic odds and ends. You’ll see discarded vehicles, an old fascist monument and so on.
The tunnels can only be explored by guided tours:
- Standard: old cisterns of the Bolla and Carmignano aqueducts
- Adventure: Bolla and Carmignano aqueducts tunnels, 90s-LTR metro gallery (you can take a raft out into the water), WWII air-raid shelter.
- Speleo: a tour to the most beautiful water cistern, shelter of Italian President, Napolitano, and an underground zip-line!
Also, visit nearby attractions which are covered in Naples itinerary 5 days.
- The complex can also be entered from Domenico Morelli 40 – Parcheggio Morelli, next to Piazza Vittoria.
- Check attraction website for physical requirements for the tour.
- Tours last between 75 minutes to 150 minutes.
- Adventure and Speleo tours need to reserved.
- Group tours of 20+ need to be reserved.
- Prices given here are only a guideline. Full prices are provided only while booking.
- Standard Tour: Friday, Saturday, Sunday and on holiday: 10am, 12pm, 3:30pm, 5:30pm
- Adventure: Saturday and Sunday- 10am, 12pm, 3:30pm, 5:30pm
- Speleo: Saturday and Sunday: 11am and 4pm
- Closed Monday - Thursday
- Bus E6 stop Piazza Carolina
- Funicular F3 stop Augusteo
- Subway L1 stop Municipio
- Subway L2 stop Stazione Napoli Piazza Amedeo.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Naples before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Naples and book an accommodation of your choice.
31.19% of people who visit Naples include Galleria Borbonica in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
40.71% of people start their Galleria Borbonica visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Galleria Borbonica
64.59% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Galleria Borbonica
I found this to be a very interesting tour and am very happy I came across it. Tours are available in English by wonderful guides. I highly recommend!
Great place. Virginia the guide was excellent Highly recommended for something of the beaten track.
Amazing experience thanks to enzo our tour guide .
Wonderful experience and great people. Highly recomended
A trip back in history. Nice few hours to spend walking underground.