Naples CathedralCurrently Open [Closes at 12:30 pm]
- Address: Via Duomo, 149, Napoli, Italy, Naples
- Timings: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-081449097
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Naples Cathedral - Review
Completed in the early 13th century on the foundations of two palaeo-Christian basilicas (the excavations of which revealed Greek and Roman artefacts that you can check out), this cathedral is more than the sum of its parts, which include:
- The proud neo-Gothic facade
- Royal Chapel of the Treasure of San Gennaro (Reale cappella del Tesoro di San Gennaro): frescoes, sculptures, busts, porphyry altar, silver front, the vials of the blood of San Gennaro, bust of Saint Gennaro in gold and silver, the 54 other silver reliquary busts - the chapel’s lavish decoration is nearly obscene in its opulence.
- Giovanni Lanfranco's fresco in the Cappella di San Gennaro (Chapel of St Janarius).
- Chapel of San Giovanni in Fonte: a 5th century baptistery with Byzantine era mosaics
- 13th-century bas reliefs on the 5th chapel on the left.
- Byzantine fresco the Virgin Enthroned by Lello da Roma on the 7th on the left.
- The Renaissance Carafa Chapel
- Crypt by Tommaso Malvito, with a 15th century portal
- The archaeological area underground with Roman and Greek-era remains.
- The 4th-century Basilica di Santa Restituta, which adjoins the church
Also, visit nearby attractions which are covered in Naples itinerary 3 days.
Naples Cathedral Information
- Ask about the miraculous liquefactions of the saint’s blood.
Naples Cathedral Hours
- Holidays 8:30am-1pm and 5-7pm
- Monday-Friday 9am-12pm and 4:30pm-7pm
- Saturday-Sunday and holidays 9am-12:30pm
How To reach Naples Cathedral by Public Transport
- Buses E1, E2 stop Duomo-cattedrale
- Subway L2 stop Cavour
- Piazza Garibaldi-corsia Tram
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Naples before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Naples and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Naples Cathedral
8.05% of people who visit Naples include Naples Cathedral in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
68.27% of people start their Naples Cathedral visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Naples Cathedral
60% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Naples Cathedral
Naples Cathedral Trips
1 View16 Days 15 Nights18 Day Trip to Paris, Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples, Siena, Versailles from SuwaneeBy: Published PrivatelyCity: Rome, Florence, Venice, Siena, Naples, Paris
1 View20 Days 19 Nights20 Day Trip to Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples, Milan, Capri from New OrleansBy: Guest UserCity: Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples, Milan, Capri
Naples Cathedral, Naples Reviews
When you go into it's hard to know where to see. The paintings on the ceiling are fantastic and unbelievable. The sculptures are so detailed. It is so majestic, that should visit it .
A stunning cathedral! We walked in a bit by chance and were awed by the fabulous artworks and architecture of this Roman Catholic cathedral. A must see in Naples!
Largest cathedral in Naples, very impressive building full of history. Worth a visit.
Awesome church. Plenty of magnificent artwork, marble tiling on floors and also decorative patterns and stunning main ceiling. There are some really lovely chapels to the side. Beautiful.
Beautiful church in baroque style, the chapell of San Gennaro has beautiful paitings and sculptures!