Naples Cathedral, Naples
About Naples Cathedral, Naples
Naples Cathedral, Naples - Address, Phone Number
Address: Via Duomo, 149, Napoli, Italy
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 5.5K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Completed in the early 13th century on the foundations of two palaeo-Christian basilicas (the excavations of which revealed Greek and Roman artefacts that you can check out), this cathedral is more than the sum of its parts, which include:
- The proud neo-Gothic facade
- Royal Chapel of the Treasure of San Gennaro (Reale cappella del Tesoro di San Gennaro): frescoes, sculptures, busts, porphyry altar, silver front, the vials of the blood of San Gennaro, bust of Saint Gennaro in gold and silver, the 54 other silver reliquary busts - the chapel’s lavish decoration is nearly obscene in its opulence.
- Giovanni Lanfranco's fresco in the Cappella di San Gennaro (Chapel of St Janarius).
- Chapel of San Giovanni in Fonte: a 5th century baptistery with Byzantine era mosaics
- 13th-century bas reliefs on the 5th chapel on the left.
- Byzantine fresco the Virgin Enthroned by Lello da Roma on the 7th on the left.
- The Renaissance Carafa Chapel
- Crypt by Tommaso Malvito, with a 15th century portal
- The archaeological area underground with Roman and Greek-era remains.
- The 4th-century Basilica di Santa Restituta, which adjoins the church
Naples Cathedral Information
- Ask about the miraculous liquefactions of the saint’s blood.
Naples Cathedral Opening and Closing Hours
- Holidays 8:30am-1pm and 5-7pm
- Monday-Friday 9am-12pm and 4:30pm-7pm
- Saturday-Sunday and holidays 9am-12:30pm
How To reach Naples Cathedral by Public Transport
- Buses E1, E2 stop Duomo-cattedrale
- Subway L2 stop Cavour
- Piazza Garibaldi-corsia Tram
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Naples before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Naples and book an accommodation of your choice.
Naples Cathedral, Naples Reviews - Write a Review
Wonderful monument of medieval culture and architecture. Capece Minutollo Chapel is really stunning. A lot of tombs belonged to local aristocracy with effigies of deceased in full suits of armor. And of only here, twice a year you can see the miracle of San Gennaro. Admission is free but any donation is welcomed and highly appreciated. Visitors are allowed to take non commercial photo without flash light.
A must see in Naples. Beautiful architecture and amazing history. It is massive so many parts of it to enjoy.
One of the most ancient churches in the world. A must see if you want to understand Napoli and its history.
Fabulous cathedral interiors. Visit on 19 September to participate in the spectacle surrounding the miracle of the liquification of St Genaro's blood!
a place full of history & amaze. beautiful and wonderful
- Nearby Attractions
- Piazza Museo, 19
- Hotel Carlton On The Grand Canal
- Calata Porta Di Massa
- Piazzetta Di Porto
- Blue Grotto
- Vico Pignasecca, 14
- Via Sapienza, 43
- Via Port'alba, 18
- Via Francesco Ferrante D'Avalos
- Naples Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Naples
- What to See in 48 Hours in Naples
- What to See in 72 Hours in Naples
- How to Spend 5 Days in Naples
- How to Spend 6 Days in Naples
- How to Spend 7 Days in Naples