San Paolo Maggiore10 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazza San Gaetano, 76, 80138 Napoli, Italy, Naples
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-081454048
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
In the first century AD there used to be a temple of the Dioscuri here. A basilica was built over its ruins in the 8th century, and at the end of the 16th century, it was almost entirely rebuilt again. Only two corinthian columns from the original structure remain. The church was given over to St Cajetan and his order of Theatines in the 16th century. Catejan himself is buried here. After that various artists began decorating it and didn’t stop. The result was a church with a glorious interior - frescoes, marble decorations, a sumptuous altar and sacristy, a geometric floor, gold stucco, and a double staircase on the facade.
How to Reach San Paolo Maggiore
- Bus E1, E2 stop Duomo-s.biagio Dei Librai.
- Subway L1 stop Museo
- Subway L2 stop Cavour
- Buses 147, 182, 184, 201, 584, C51, C52, E2, N4 stop Foria-metropolitana - Farmacia Cavour.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Naples before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Naples and book an accommodation of your choice.