Todai Ji1880 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 406-1 Zoshicho, Nara, Nara Prefecture 630-8211, Japan Map
- Timings: 07:30 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +81-742225511
- Ticket Price: 500 JPY
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Outdoors, Educational Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Nature
The Todai ji is one of Japan's most famous and historically significant temples. It is a landmark in Nara. The temple was constructed in the year 752 as the chief temple in the Kokubun-ji system (head temple of all provincial Buddhist temples of Japan). Having a rough history, the temple was burnt down and faced earthquakes a lot many times. The present construction that one sees was built in the late 1600s. The main building of the temple complex, called the Daibutsuden (Big Buddha Hall) is the world's largest wooden building. It houses one of Japan's largest bronze statues of Lord Buddha. Several smaller Buddhist statues and models of the former and current buildings are also on display in the Daibutsuden Hall. A popular attraction within the temple complex is the Nandaimon Gate, a large wooden gate watched over by two fierce looking statues. The gate, along with the statues is a designated national treasure. With the temple premises is the Todaiji Museum, which houses rotating exhibitions from the temple's large collection of religious art and cultural treasures.
Todai Ji Travel Tips
- There is a pillar in the temple complex with a hole in its base that is the same size as the Buddha statue’s nostril. It is believed that those who can squeeze through this opening will be granted enlightenment in their next life.
- Do check out beautiful views of the city from the balcony of the Nigatsudo Hall.
How to Reach Todai Ji
- Todaiji Daibutsuden bus stop
- Kintetsu Nara Station
- Tatsumi Do
- Saro hakaze Tai yume
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Nara before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Nara and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Todai Ji Address: 406-1 Zoshicho, Nara, Nara Prefecture 630-8211, Japan
- Todai Ji Contact Number: +81-742225511
- Todai Ji Timing: 07:30 am - 05:30 pm
- Todai Ji Price: 500 JPY
- Best time to visit Todai Ji(preferred time): 08:00 am - 04:00 pm
- Time required to visit Todai Ji: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
53.03% of people who visit Nara include Todai Ji in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
34.88% of people start their Todai Ji visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Todai Ji
52.63% of people prefer walking in order to reach Todai Ji
People normally club together Nara Park and Higashimuki Shopping Arcade while planning their visit to Todai Ji.