Events and Festivals in Nara
- Yamayaki: This festival is held on the fourth Saturday of January every year. This is Nara’s most visually stunning festival. At around 5.30 in the evening, a fire is lit in the middle of Mount Wakakusayama. This is done to drive away evil spirits. This event is followed by a spectacular display of fireworks.
- Mantoro (Lantern Festival): Held twice annually, in the month of February and then in August, the some 3000 lanterns placed around Kasuga-Taisha Shrine are lit up in the evening. The entire place looks magical and like wonderland!
- O-Taimatsu and O-Mizutori: Held in the month of March, this is a torch lighting and water drawing festival held at Todai-ji temple. It is a 1200-year-old ceremony. The climax of the festival is that in the evening of the last day of the festival, priests stand on the second-floor veranda of the temple, light huge torches and scatter sparks over the assembled crowds! This is done to protect them from evil spirits. At 2 a.m. the priests collect water from the well, after which they whirl more lit flares round in a frenzied dance.
Trip plans for Nara
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Nara
Ask question in category
Simply click on Ask a Question to add question
Events & Festivals in Cities Near Nara
- Events & Festivals in Osaka
- Events & Festivals in Kyoto
- Events & Festivals in Kobe
- Events & Festivals in Himeji
- Events & Festivals in Nagoya-shi
- Events & Festivals in Takayama