Fort Charlotte14 Votes Currently Open
- Address: West Bay Street (opposite Arawak Cay), Nassau & Paradise Island, Bahamas
- Timings: 08:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-2423259186
- Ticket Price: 5 BSD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Fort
Fort Charlotte dates back to the 18th century and overlooks the stunning Nassau Harbour. The fort was named after King George III’s wife- Queen Charlotte. The initial stone structure of the fort was built from 1787 to 1819- spanning around 32 years! This fort is actually a part of a complex consisting of 3 forts - others being Fort Stanley and Fort D’Arcy.
At its peak, these fortifications successfully manage to sabotage some of the most powerful attacks on the Bahamas and even today, the historical re-enactments arranged here accurately describe just how Nassau’s defence strategies were managed. Originally the fort was designed to have 42 cannons ready for attack. Highlight of the fort include a tour of its dungeons and underground tunnel systems that were constructed should the need for surrender arise. In spite of its detailed design and strategic location, the fort never did serve in any war. However, for casual visitors a walk around the green surroundings with fort ruins that cover the landscape, is an experience itself.
Fort Charlotte Travel Tips
- Do wear sturdy shoes and carry bottled drinking water.
Entrance Ticket Details For Fort Charlotte
Admission & guided tour:
- Bahamian Dollars 5.00 per person; and Bahamian Dollars 7.00 per person (includes light snack).
The entrance fee:
- Bahamian Dollars 5.00 for Adults.
- Bahamian Dollars 2.00 for Children (under 12).
- Bahamian Dollars 3.00 for Seniors.
Fort Charlotte Hours
- The living historical scene culminates with the firing of the cannon at 12:00 pm. Every Wednesday and Friday, starting at 11:30 am.
How to Reach Fort Charlotte
- Ferry terminal: P.I.F.T (6 kilometers away)
- Bus: At Palmetto Ave (4 kilometers way)
- By taking a Jitney (minibus).
- By Taxi
- By renting a Car/ Scooter/ Bike
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Nassau before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Nassau and book an accommodation of your choice.
1.73% of people who visit Nassau include Fort Charlotte in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
54.55% of people start their Fort Charlotte visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Fort Charlotte
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fort Charlotte