A favourite spot of cruises heading to the Bahamas, Nassau is a complacent city with warm people, characterized by a rather funny way of driving. Taxis with gothic fonts, owners who refuse to go by meter, chirpy straw-goods vendors, and lots of vistas that promise of refreshment, Nassau is the tropical paradise that is hustling with tranquillity! Given a consistent temperature all through the year, it is hard to choose the best time to visit Nassau. But to get some glorious balance, January can be stated as an ideal time. A relatively easy access, regular flights from USA and some from London and Toronto, not to mention a host of charter flights’ services, getting in Nassau is easy. A plethora of modes to get around Nassau include jitneys, taxis, car and bike rentals, but the best way to soak up the local flavour is walking around the downtown.
There is as much to do in Nassau as there is to see; beaches, islands, water sports, and some shopping, you can never run out of things to do in Nassau. Luxury accommodation dot the islands of Paradise and Cable, for that rejuvenating sojourn you dreamt of. What’s more? A host of festivals all through the year and very warm locals that expect nothing but a smile, will embrace you like you belong here.
Essential travel information and Nassau tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Eastern Time Zone; UTC-05:00
- Currency: Bahamian dollar
- Electricity and Internet: The voltage is 208 V/ 60 Hz. Internet in the form of wi-fi is available at most of the hotels, restaurants and places of interest.
- Languages: English is the official language of Nassau, along with being the most widely spoken language in Bahamas. Haitian immigrants speak Creole.
- Security: Dial 911 or 919 for any emergencies.
- Tipping: Tipping in Nassau is not a must but an expression of appreciation. Tip as per your liking of the service. Most establishments will however include gratuity in their services, where you may not have to tip separately.
- Tourist Traps: Goods at the straw market may not be very authentic. If you travel by taxi, make sure to agree upon a tariff before you board. Despite having meters, taxi owners don’t use it.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Nassau
Save 5%Sunset Dinner Cruise in Nassau
2 Hrs30 Reviews
Save 5%Nassau Sail and Snorkel Tour
3 Hrs27 Reviews
Save 7%Parasail Over Cabbage Beach
7 Mins16 Reviews
Save 2%4-Hour Nassau Buggy Ride and Beach Tour
4 Hrs3 Reviews
Save 5%Pearl Island Beach Escape with Lunch and Snorkeling from Nassau
5 Hrs16 Reviews
Save 7%Roundtrip Nassau Airport Private Transfer
15 Mins37 Reviews